In Wall Network - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,162

In wall network

Due to a couple projects opening the floor and ceiling and wall damage from an earthquake I have a unique opportunity to run internet and cable TV to nearly every room in the house.

I "kind of" want to "future-proof" a bit and put in Cat8, but I can't find the Cat8 coupler style keystones (pass-through type.) How difficult and sturdy would ya'll say that the "wire it yourself" keystones are? I do have some wiring/electrical experience, rewired modular PSUs for my computer mods and I've done electronics projects with my Arduino's, however, my vision is getting bad for small stuff these days.

Is it tricky enough that I am better off sticking to Cat6A, which I can find the pass-through coupler keystones for?

Is there a better option?
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

Re: In wall network

CAT8, with its 2000 MHz bandwidth and 25-40 Gbps capability is primarily geared for data center environments which I think makes it overkill for a home network.

Consider this.

My ISP and cable provider is Comcast. I have a mid-tier plan for internet. My neighborhood is still on the coax infrastructure that is at least 30-years-old. An RG6 cable connects the cable splitter in the garage to the cable modem which is then connected to my Netgear AC1900 router.

All the devices in our home are wireless with the exception of the workstation in my home office. These include 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 televisions, Xbox, DVD player and surround sound receiver through which I stream net radio.

I can stream a movie in HD while my wife is watching YouTube videos. At the same time, I can be running backups of the laptops and workstation to the NAS and there is no buffering of the movie taking place or degradation in network throughput.

If you wanted to prepare for future growth, I think using CAT7 or CAT7a would be more than adequate for a home network and probably more affordable.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drachenfire For This Useful Post:
Mystriss (01-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

We can't do wireless for sure. I upgraded to an Asus 802.11AC1900 and it just doesn't cut it for any of us gamer nerds - our house looks a bit like an octopus with the Cat6 (not to mention RG6) running along the outside to every room.

It's about $50 to do cat7 vs $200 for cat8, but I'd rather spend the extra and never have to worry about it again. Problem is the wiring bit as I've never done it before (not even old landline jacks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,167

I'd argue that Cat6 would be fine for the rest of most of our lives.

I've no experience with Cat7 but that probably makes sense for the cost you're talking.

You could always run conduit, with big sweeping elbows. You could replace with Cat14 in20 years, if you'd like.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Big Dog

I contend that for gaming (which seems to be your main need for a wired network), CAT7 or 7a is more than adequate for the task.

The wiring is not that difficult.

Some newer keystone are now tooless. The important thing is to minimize how much wire is untwisted and follow the wiring instruction that come with the keystone precisely.

For the RJ45 connections, there are two most common wireing schemes which are shown below.

The most prevalent scheme used is 568B. It is important that whichever scheme you use you must stay with it. If you mix the schemes between the ends of the cable, you will not have connectivity.

You indicated you have never crimped cable before. It is not difficult but does take practice.

First you will need the tools.

I recommend the Klein 7-1/2 in. Ratcheting Modular Crimper and Stripper available at Home Depot for $29.97.

If you can swing it, I suggest you also get the Klein VDV LAN Scout Jr. Tester also available at Home Depot for 58.97. This tool will allow you to test your connections after crimping.

I use both of these tools myself.

NOTE: It is very important that when you are stripping the insulation, you do not nick the twisted pairs inside. At the very least you will get noticeable network degradation, at the worse no network connectivity at all.

There are YouTube videos that will show you how to terminate RJ45. I suggest you buy some extra RJ45 connectors and using the videos practice terminating and testing cables before tackling the real thing.

Good luck.
Mystriss likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Last edited by Drachenfire; 01-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drachenfire For This Useful Post:
Mystriss (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

@Drachenfire

Ooooo a tester is exactly what I need to give me the confidence to do this! I had no idea they made such a thing. I ordered their upgraded tester that does RG6 testing as well since I'm running cable to every room while I'm at it. \o/
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 491

As long as the Walls or Ceilings are open, I'd run multiple Cat6 Runs, more the better.
I stream full 4K Blu-Ray Images from my NAS to my Home Theater, never have any buffering problems. Cat8 is just too limited (100ft max. length, I believe.)

Also, you may want to run some extra Cat6 for future (Camera) use. I got 10 Cams here around my Home, all running over Cat6 full hD.

I have run Camera Cables as long as 400 ft without using Repeaters or the like.
And POE included.
Remember to use UV rated Cables if they are exposed to the Elements. For that, I use direct-burial Cat6.
If you do your own Crimping or Punch-down, I agree, a Tester is a must-have. Also a Tracer will help you identifying Cables.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Due to a couple projects opening the floor and ceiling and wall damage from an earthquake I have a unique opportunity to run internet and cable TV to nearly every room in the house.

I "kind of" want to "future-proof" a bit and put in Cat8, but I can't find the Cat8 coupler style keystones (pass-through type.) How difficult and sturdy would ya'll say that the "wire it yourself" keystones are? I do have some wiring/electrical experience, rewired modular PSUs for my computer mods and I've done electronics projects with my Arduino's, however, my vision is getting bad for small stuff these days.

Is it tricky enough that I am better off sticking to Cat6A, which I can find the pass-through coupler keystones for?

Is there a better option?

I have phone, HDtv (up to 4 channels at the same time), and hi speed internet all off of the phone line. Our phone lines are CAT6 from the poles. I would find it hard to believe anymore then cat6 would be required just for internet anytime in the foreseeable future.
FrodoOne likes this.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Big Dog

Quote:
@Drachenfire

Ooooo a tester is exactly what I need to give me the confidence to do this! I had no idea they made such a thing. I ordered their upgraded tester that does RG6 testing as well since I'm running cable to every room while I'm at it. \o/
Good idea.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

IMO, punching your own network cables is not so easy but if you want to try it, good luck.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
IMO, punching your own network cables is not so easy but if you want to try it, good luck.
What do you find so difficult about it?

With the tools I indicated and a little practice, one can strip, piece out and crimp an end in 2-3 minutes.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

We've had 1G fiber to the house since, uhm, 2015, maybe 2016. (I mostly recall our local provider had a fun little contest to see who got 1G and 25G first, my town placed third for interest for 1G, but we placed last for 25G.)

Either way we are slated to get 25G here in the next 3 years. As I understand it the fiber they put down can do up to 100G but they're sharing the current infrastructure bandwidth with other providers (GCI, ACS, AT&T, & MTA) so we customers are being limited until they get more fiber down. We've also got a satellite internet company installing (launching?) their global internet initiative system up here in the next few years which I hear will be offering 100G "out of the box."

All in all, I figure within ten years I'll very likely have 100G so going to Cat8 seems like a good investment to me.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Even a Verizon installer had problems punching a head. Maybe I need more practice.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
Big Dog

Quote:
All in all, I figure within ten years I'll very likely have 100G so going to Cat8 seems like a good investment to me.
The cable company may be offering 100G at some point but at what cost? Right now ISPs offer tier levels of internet speed at various prices.

Currently, Xfinity (Comcast) offers 7 tiers of internet service. The lowest tier offers 10Mbps for $29.99 with the highest tier at 2Gbps coming in it at $299.95.

One can only imagine what 100Gbps will cost. But let us say you are willing to pay for that 100Gbps line. Why would you need it in a residential home?

Myself being a practical person, I do not see any benefit to going through the expense of installing a network infrastructure that in all probability will never be used to its capability.

Of course it is your home and your money, so what you do is your prerogative. I was only giving my opinion.

BTW, I came across this article that may be beneficial. Home networking explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Even a Verizon installer had problems punching a head. Maybe I need more practice.
Sounds like that Verizon installer needs more practice as well.

Between telco and IT work, I could not begin to count how many cables I have terminated.

Considering what an installer would charge to install each network jack, if one is doing a whole house network install, it would be worth the investment to buy the tools some extra connectors and learn how to terminate cables.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,276

i would install normal cat6 cable and pass a fiber also into the wall so if any upgrade is needed fiber cable should cover it
Mystriss likes this.
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement