New Phone Wiring - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GrayHair

Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 218

new phone wiring

1) I just finished running new cat5e in my house for phone wiring. I have 4 cat5e hanging in my basement and the wires are temporarily just twisted together so I can have my phones working . Would it be better to use a phone module like a 1x9 leviton 47689-b with bracket or just use scotchlok butt connectors for the final hookup of the the wiring ? Or are they mainly for in line splicing ? My phones are voip and are disconnected from the NID.

2) I did leave the wiring runs bundled up a little longer than necessary in case I would ever need to run them back outside for any reason ,but do you think this is necessary or just cut them back closer to the new connection point inside ?

Thanks

Last edited by daveblt; 08-18-2016 at 01:27 PM.
daveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,354

Re: new phone wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
1) I just finished running new cat5e in my house for phone wiring. I have 4 cat5e hanging in my basement and the wires are temporarily just twisted together so I can have my phones working . Would it be better to use a phone module like a 1x9 leviton 47689-b with bracket or just use scotchlok butt connectors for the final hookup of the the wiring ? Or are they mainly for in line splicing ? My phones are voip and are disconnected from the NID.

2) I did leave the wiring runs bundled up a little longer than necessary in case I would ever need to run them back outside for any reason ,but do you think this is necessary or just cut them back closer to the new connection point inside ?
As has been suggested to you by others in an earlier post, you are (possibly) indulging in "overkill".

However, since you have gone this far, please do not spoil your efforts by using "scotchlok butt connectors".

You could use the item you suggested, but it is NOT a "stand alone" unit and needs to be mounted in something else - at additional cost.
A better choice would be https://www.amazon.com/Steren-FastHo.../dp/B000EHPIX8, which is about the same price and can be mounted by itself.

Always leave some (or, quite a lot of) slack - pushed back into the wall cavity - at both ends.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #3

Thanks very much for your feedback ! The leviton 47689-b is 19.99 and actually does come with a mounting bracket .From the reviews I've seen they can also be mounted to plywood or a joist . So I guess either one would work ?? I don't think I would ever need that security port on the Steren module though.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Thanks very much for your feedback ! The leviton 47689-b is 19.99 and actually does come with a mounting bracket .From the reviews I've seen they can also be mounted to plywood or a joist . So I guess either one would work ?? I don't think I would ever need that security port on the Steren module though.

Thanks
The Steren module comes as a complete unit DESIGNED to be mounted by itself, or together with other Steren modules, while the mounting bracket for the leviton 47689-b is somewhat "incidental".
They are both the same price.

Of course, suit yourself. However, to me the Steren module seems much better value for money.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #5

Thanks ! I decided to go with the Steren . The only question remains ,Should the inside cat5e wiring ever be run to the outdoor NID now or in the future ? Like I mentioned I have voip and the phones were disconnected from the NID. Or is it always best to leave the wiring inside . My thinking is run all lines to the inside mounted phone hub ,and then I could always run a single wire to the outside if ever needed ?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,330

I think a spare cable (or seven!) to a point that may be difficult to pull to later is always a good idea.
FrodoOne likes this.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement