DIY Network For My Home - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 219

DIY Network for my Home

Thinking of doing a project for my House.
First I have my modem in the basement {Comcast cable}, I have run 2 cat5e cables with 2 coaxial cables for my tv's for 2 bed rooms . I will be running 3 more cat5e cables threw the walls to the modem. My question is do I need a switch panel to connect all cat5e to the modem or a patch panel ? or Both ? The basement is unfinished right now but when I do add more rooms will be adding more cat5e cables so I'm thinking of 16 or 24 port.
bote110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

Re: DIY Network for my Home

Is there are particular reason you need wired network connections to the rooms? Most modern wireless modems have excellent speeds.

Also, you did not mention how big the home is or many floors there are above the basement.

The Comcast cable-modem has built in WiFi. I would put a splitter on one of the coax in the bedroom and connect the modem there which will provide internet access. If there are multiple floors above the basement, you can use a wireless bridge to extend the signal.

This device is placed midway between the router and device and as the name implies, bridges the signal between two.

On another note, if you have a Comcast supplied cable-modem, I strongly urge you to return it and buy one of your own.

Comcast has set up a network called Xfinity Wifi. It allows Comcast users on the go to access the internet using their Comcast credentials from “hot-spots”. It also allows non-Comcast customers to purchase short term access to these hot-spots.

What a lot of people do not know is that these “hot-spots” are actually the Xfinity wireless routers in people’s homes and businesses.

Comcast has turned the router you are paying for every month into a publicly accessible hot-spot they profit off of.

Comcast claims that the data of subscribers who have the router are protected because the guest network is separated from the homeowner’s private network however Comcast provides no details on how this is done.

Anyone who understands computer security and/or wireless networking know this is not really true.

A criminal with a stolen credit card can purchase short term Comcast access and then using your router can carry out their illegal activity essentially leaving you with having to “prove“ you were not the one carrying out the illegal act.

On the technical side there are methods that can be used fool your router into opening access to unauthorized devices such as “MAC Spoofing”. “Evil Twin Networks” can trick people into thinking they are accessing a Comcast hot-spot when in reality they are connected to a nefarious router whose owner is now tracking everything you do and is able to record any username and passwords you enter while connected to that router.

For a list of modems approved for use on Xfinity, go to MyDeviceInfo, enter your zip code and download speed and click "Find Equipment". A list of compatible devices will be displayed.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 320

I would get a 24/12 unmanaged switch. It has 24 ports and 12 of them also provide poe.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

I had the modem in the beginning {modular raise house 1 floor was build 2013 , 56x30 feet} in the basement and the living room sits the opposite side of where the cable inters the house ,that's where Comcast place the modem. I use to play xbox on line an only connect around 2 bars , I even try a wifi extender an would only get 3 bars. Even streaming movies would lag , so I move the modem to our computer room on the first floor until I can solve this. Now I cut cable an install an antenna out side to watch local tv in HD an I'm using a android box that only uses wifi to watch IPTV an stream movies but it's not good so I need to hard wired connection for it to work better. I've got my TV wires all organize down stairs with splitter an amps for 4 rooms and would like to do the same with the cat5e.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
I would get a 24/12 unmanaged switch. It has 24 ports and 12 of them also provide poe.
Does this connects to the modem an all the wires to it?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote110 View Post
Does this connects to the modem an all the wires to it?
Most cable modems have 4) rj45 ports. The switch would have 24 ports. You run a short patch cable between the two and that's it. Devices will connect to each other via plug n play and can talk to each other, regardless of where they are plugged in. Switch will need ac power.

I recommend at least half your ports poe capable. They all can be if you find a deal. This will future proof your network if you ever want to add ip cameras.

You do get more control over your network with a smart switch or a fully managed switch, but I don't believe you need one for a home or small business network.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Most cable modems have 4) rj45 ports. The switch would have 24 ports. You run a short patch cable between the two and that's it. Devices will connect to each other via plug n play and can talk to each other, regardless of where they are plugged in. Switch will need ac power.

I recommend at least half your ports poe capable. They all can be if you find a deal. This will future proof your network if you ever want to add ip cameras.

You do get more control over your network with a smart switch or a fully managed switch, but I don't believe you need one for a home or small business network.
I don't see the need in adding any ip cameras to my house ever?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
I don't see the need in adding any ip cameras to my house ever?
You can omit the poe option if you feel you won't ever need it. You can also change the number of ports to a number you feel you need.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
You can omit the poe option if you feel you won't ever need it. You can also change the number of ports to a number you feel you need.
OK thanks, another thing would I still need a Patch Panel to connect to the Switch or just go directly to the switch then the modem ?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #10

No you don't need a patch panel. You could crimp on your rj45 ends on your homeruns and plug them directly into the switch.

With a patch panel, you would stake the wires to a port on the patch panel. You would then run a short braided patch cable to the switch. You would need to run a patch cable from each port on the patch panel to the switch that you wanted to be live on your network.

Patch panels are good if you are constantly reconfiguring the network or manage the network. Your network is small and once its setup you'll only make minor changes.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

Would getting a 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Switch be better than a 10/100 Mbps Gigabit Switch? I'm only running my Computer in 1 room a xbox 1x in my sons room and a Smart TV , Android Box and Tvio box in the living room, and 1 Smart TV in the Master Bedroom all on the first floor running , I will be running 2 cat5e cables in my sons room and 1 each cat5e in my other 3 rooms . Taught of using also a small 5 port switch for the living room to connect the tv,xbox an tvio and connect it to the wall. Should this work alright ? Do I need to keep both switches the same brand and speed?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Would getting a 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Switch be better than a 10/100 Mbps Gigabit Switch? I'm only running my Computer in 1 room a xbox 1x in my sons room and a Smart TV , Android Box and Tvio box in the living room, and 1 Smart TV in the Master Bedroom all on the first floor running , I will be running 2 cat5e cables in my sons room and 1 each cat5e in my other 3 rooms . Taught of using also a small 5 port switch for the living room to connect the tv,xbox an tvio and connect it to the wall. Should this work alright ? Do I need to keep both switches the same brand and speed?
The faster the better and since most of the time going from a 10/100 to a 1000 is only a couple of dollars it's worth it. I'd go with the gigabit switch especially if you're going to split it off at one run. I don't have a perfect network at home but this is what I've done and so far haven't had any speed problems. Modem/router all in one - 4 ports split to 8 at the front room for about 5 devices - 1 1Gb line to the middle of the house where I have about 6 other runs to the rest of the house and garage plus another wifi access point. I have a clog since I only have 1 1Gb line to the rest of the house but since I overbuilt on speed, I don't have any issues. Generally I'm just sharing the internet connection but I transfer files over the network once in a while and I max out my hard drive speeds before the network.

Forgot to add - brand doesn't matter but speed will benefit if you keep that the same. You can mix the speeds but you'll have some choke points if you do it wrong.

Last edited by Fish_Stick; 11-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Fish_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

If I was to get 1 16-port switch and later down the line needed more ,can I add another 16 port switch and stack it? Will this work by adding 1 small patch cable to each other then to the modem? As long they are both 10/100/1000
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
If I was to get 1 16-port switch and later down the line needed more ,can I add another 16 port switch and stack it? Will this work by adding 1 small patch cable to each other then to the modem? As long they are both 10/100/1000
In theory you could. If you start getting a network that large though you need to start thinking bigger. I'm not saying it's impossible but with a 32 port network plus wireless you're going to be stressing a home unit (your router) unless you're just running extra ports for movement of devices. Some switches can route internal traffic which would cut down on your needs greatly but you have to find one first. Best bet though would be a single switch. Start looking at business class switches and you can easily find a 24 or 48 port gigabit that route internal traffic.

What do you want to accomplish with the network? Media server for streaming or just to have internet on every device? How you respond is going to determine if you need regular stuff or start moving into bigger units.
Fish_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #15

Is mostly for gaming an streaming in my son's bedroom and Living room and last would be to too connect devices to get online. I am thinking on using the 5 or 8 port switches for my computer room and Living room . I have a unfinished basement but when we start adding rooms there I would like to have extra ports to add lines in. So far I can use 5 for now, got all my tools to run cat5e cables thru the walls to the basement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement