Clean Install Of OS Over Same OS, Now Can't Connect To Internet - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,982

Clean install of OS over same OS, now can't connect to Internet

Windows Vista Ultimate clean install over same OS and now cannot connect to Internet.

Don't know what my Network Connection was called (DSL service, Cincinnati Bell), but the only option that appears after clean install is called Broadband Connection/WAN Miniport (PPPOE). When I click on it, dialogue box appears/asks for user and pw.

Could hit on the correct pw/user combination eventually (have forgotten, and have different possibilities - will be converting to only one soon), but tech support tells me they don't use PPPOE connections and there is no pw required for their service. She may have called their connection DHCP something...not sure.

So I start up my old PC/Windows XP which still connects to the same DSL service and discover the working Internet connection is listed under LAN or High-Speed Internet category... called specifically "Local Area Connection, Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gig..."

Tried to "Windows Easy Transfer" from XP sys PC to the Vista PC, but can't get Vista to finally read my flash drive where I copied the XP network settings to...

Wondering why I don't have this Local Area Connection/Broadcom NetXtreme option on the clean install of Vista? Got wiped out with the clean install? How do I get it back? Can screen capture full pages or partials and attach, if needed.

Last edited by justplumducky; 08-07-2015 at 02:07 PM.
justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 178

I'm assuming you have a cat5 cable plugged into the computer. It sounds like the driver for your network card is missing.
Goto Control Panels then the System and Security. Click on Device Manager.
Look for Network Adapters. Click on the arrow to expand it. What's listed?
justplumducky (10-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

If a cat5 cable is same as an ethernet cable, yes. I have to shut down the Vista PC and transfer the cable connections to the XP PC, then vice versa. I'll do that right now and get back. Anything else you might need from the XP PC while I'm there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

Device Manager/Network Adapter/Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter Nothing else.

"This device is working properly." Maybe this is a wireless adapter, if I remember correctly. Been a long time...

Go looking for network adapter on installation disk? Not sure exactly how to do that, but probably could figure it out if I poke around long enough. Will wait to hear back from you, thx much for your help.

Last edited by justplumducky; 08-07-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

If you have a WiFi router at home, you can connect with that. Is this a laptop?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
If you have a WiFi router at home, you can connect with that. Is this a laptop?
Desktop.

I believe it is a wifi router (ZyXel), but know nothing about how to connect. I'll google for it and if I have trouble, I'll post again, thx.

Last edited by justplumducky; 08-07-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 184

From you DSL provider will be a modem, or a modem router. It handles the authentication on their network. Your router will assign IPs to each computer on your LAN ( Local Area Network ), that's the DCHP part, it's automatic. It sound like you clean Vista install is missing the Broadcom NetExtreme driver ( the NIC or Network Interface Card ) where your CAT5 cable plugs into in the back of the computer to the router, with out the driver installed, the computer cannot talk to the router via the CAT5 cable. So with the working computer, download the Broadcom driver for Vista. You mentioned your fresh Vista install cannot read the USB drive, or can it? As if you cannot read the USB drive, then it's going to be tough copying the driver over to the computer.

You also mention a wireless connection available , to get that working you'll need to know the SSID on the Zytel WIFI router, and the password, to connect.

If you go into Device Manager and expand the device tree, you'll probably see a yellow triangle with unknown device, that will be your NIC card that needs a driver for it to function properly.

Last edited by intelpcguy; 08-08-2015 at 01:48 AM.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelpcguy View Post
From you DSL provider will be a modem, or a modem router. It handles the authentication on their network. Your router will assign IPs to each computer on your LAN ( Local Area Network ), that's the DCHP part, it's automatic. It sound like you clean Vista install is missing the Broadcom NetExtreme driver ( the NIC or Network Interface Card ) where your CAT5 cable plugs into in the back of the computer to the router, with out the driver installed, the computer cannot talk to the router via the CAT5 cable. So with the working computer, download the Broadcom driver for Vista. You mentioned your fresh Vista install cannot read the USB drive, or can it? As if you cannot read the USB drive, then it's going to be tough copying the driver over to the computer.

You also mention a wireless connection available , to get that working you'll need to know the SSID on the Zytel WIFI router, and the password, to connect.

If you go into Device Manager and expand the device tree, you'll probably see a yellow triangle with unknown device, that will be your NIC card that needs a driver for it to function properly.
Discovered a Utilities and Drivers CD for my OS - didn't know I had it, sorry. Up and running again on my Vista PC. Thx so much for your help.

Can I set up a wireless connection simultaneously (while using the NIC and ethernet cable), or do I have to have one or the other? Have a wireless keyboard I'd like to try out.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

You can have both but I don't think there's a benefit. The wireless keyboard either works with Bluetooth or will come with a USB receiver that plugs into the PC.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 184

like dj, said there is no benefit from having both, though I always prefer a hard wire connection over wireless. You can have both active, but on laptops, usually both are active ( but one is connected ), but Windows will usually pick a wireless connection automatically if you are not hard wire connected. I like wireless keyboard that are are radio frequency verse blue tooth, I have blue tooth keyboards drop out, and prefer logitech wireless mouse and keyboards over anything else.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement