Your Weed Whacker Direction - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,518

Your Weed Whacker Direction

I have a couple of weed whackers. Both whackers are a popular brand, one straight shaft and one curved shaft. I noticed the straight throws clippings back to the operator much worse than the curved like maybe 90 % vs 10 %. The curved's shield is 5 inches wider than the straight but that didn't seem to me to be the total reason.

Then I discovered the heads of the two rotate in the opposite direction. Looking at the top, the curved is CW and the straight rotates CCW. Further research determined the engines don't run opposite but the straight has a gearbox we'll call it with ( reverse idler gear ).

Then it dawned on me the whacker angle position may be partially to blame. So with that in mind, am I a rightie or leftie operator. I'm a rightie and not even close to ambidextrous and would probably hurt myself as a leftie operating a whacker. So I determined a rightie needs a CW rotating whacker head if he wants 10 % of the clippings rather than 90 % thrown back at his legs and other body parts.

Rotation direction may be something to consider on your next purchase and we may always wonder how many hours it took an enjineer to calculate how to cover that guy with clippings. He may still be laughing.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

my direction? forward, always forward.

curved shafts run clockwise (when observed from above) while straight shaft whackers spin counterclockwise.

most engines spin the same direction (a note: the engines of a Corvair rotated counter to most typical engines ) and with a straight shaft trimmer there is a set of bevel gears (2 gears only) at the angle at the end of the main shaft (which allow for the straight shaft) which makes the output shaft spin the direction opposite of the engine.

if one holds a curved shaft to the right of their body they will avoid much of the grass throw back as the motion of the string throws the grass to the right and the right rear. If they hold a straight shaft to the right, they will be in the debris path of the cuttings as the rotation of the head causes the line to throw the clippings to the left and left rearward.

but I'm telling ya, for some people (like me for example) it really doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm the guy the engineer figure out how to get covered with grass no matter what I do with the thing.

as a side note: my sister tells me I look hilarious when using the thing for a BEE whacker (yes, you read that right). A bee whacker. There was a big nest of bees on my father's porch. I was over there trimming his grass and my sis asks me to help get rid of the bees. While I thought the nest was contained in a rolled up carpet pad, when I grabbed the thing I realized the larger part of the best actually hung on the outside of the bottom of the roll where I could not see it. Boy were they pissed.

So. since I couldn't get passed them and into the house (where the wasp killer spray was conveniently located), as I approached the porch, the only "weapon" I had was my handy dandy weed whacker. There were so many of the meanies it actually did help thin them out a bit. You can actually hear when you whack them.

Got into the house and realized somebody used about 99% of the can of spray I was headed for. Then I had to get back out so I could go buy some more spray. Well, I was having fun so I sent sis to get the spray while I "fenced" with the bees. Didn't need one of those lights like they use in the Olympics to show when one was "stung" by the opponents foil. We had audible notification (I yipped each time I was stung).
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,518

I love those Bee stories when they happen to the other guy, and I found that a lawn tractor won't out run them.

I run my curved shaft perpendicular to my body with the head to the left as much as possible which even helps more but being right handed that would be a disaster with the straight.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

luckily I am not allergic to the stings as I lost count of how many times I was stung that day.

but I had victory in the end as I gloated while standing over their decimated nest with hundreds, nay, thousands dead and only a few showing any signs of life as they writhed about from the injuries I brought down upon them with the chemical sword I yielded in my battle for the porch.

(that's the closest I could find to a smilie with a sword)
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,579

Yeah. I think every time I've gotten stung more than about 5 times, it involved a weed whacker.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement