Used 1990 Simplicity 6216 Vs MTD. Huskee 8 Spd - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sparky27
  • 1 Post By sparky27

Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Used 1990 Simplicity 6216 vs MTD. Huskee 8 spd

We bought a house with a large 1.5 acre yard and now we need a riding mower.

My old neighbor is selling his MTD. Tractor (2010? 8 spd. 21 hp Huskee lawn tractor). He is a meticulous person and his mower was well cared for and maintained. He wants $450 for the used Huskee though and its a bit much for the mower. he did recently go through and replace a starter, belts and some other stuff I can't currently remember.

There is a 1990 Simplicity for sale which looks nice and is said to run great. the guy wants $400 for it w a kart. There is no deck on the simplicity, but I have a few different options to obtain one. I love the idea of a garden tractor to help plow our drive, garden and possibly lightly grade our driveway. I figure I can source another deck for between $75 and $250.

I have some mechanical skill, I've worked on dirtbikes in the past, can do car brakes, plugs, suspensions. I have never touched transmissions and rebuilding an engine is beyond me (I have replaced a couple pistons in a 2 stroke bike tho).

My question is which is a better buy? I feel the Huskee is an inferior brand, but maintenance is something I feel is very important. I think the simplicity is a better quality tractor, but maintenance is unknown. I'm hoping to get at least 3 years out of either machine. Is the MTD 8 spd better than I'm giving it credit for? Would a much newer machine provide far more comfort/ features than the older simplicity?

Whats the smarter buy?

Last edited by sparky27; 02-22-2019 at 08:40 AM.
sparky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,756

Re: Used 1990 Simplicity 6216 vs MTD. Huskee 8 spd

Strictly speaking from my own experience, in 20 years I may have seen one Simplicity tractor in this area, so finding any parts never mind finding a deck worth buying would be near impossible.
I'd try and locate a deck before even buying it.
I would not count on anything made by MTD to last very long on a yard that big.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky27 View Post
My old neighbor is selling his MTD. Tractor (2010? 8 spd. 21 hp Huskee lawn tractor). He is a meticulous person and his mower was well cared for and maintained. He wants $450...

There is a 1990 Simplicity for sale which looks nice and is said to run great. the guy wants $400 for it w a kart.
Buy them both.

Quote:
There is no deck on the simplicity
Buy the OEM deck assembly from Simplicity.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Strictly speaking from my own experience, in 20 years I may have seen one Simplicity tractor in this area, so finding any parts never mind finding a deck worth buying would be near impossible.
I'd try and locate a deck before even buying it.
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Quote:
My old neighbor is selling his MTD. Tractor (2010? 8 spd. 21 hp Huskee lawn tractor). He is a meticulous person and his mower was well cared for and maintained. He wants $450...

There is a 1990 Simplicity for sale which looks nice and is said to run great. the guy wants $400 for it w a kart.
Buy them both.

Quote:
There is no deck on the simplicity
Buy the OEM deck assembly from Simplicity.
Why do you say to buy them both?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,666

Quote:
thanks!

Actually not a bad idea if you have the space to keep them out of the weather. Two machines for $850 (or better if you can swing it) means you aren't out of service if/when one breaks down. If you want it for year-round use, you might find one is better at the winter chores than the other.
I would at least make sure I can get a deck in good condition before I committed to that one.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,012

Quote:
because you can't turn your back on even half of a Simplicty for that price.

Use the Huskee until you can get/find a Simplicity deck (look for a roller too). At that time decide how you feel about each and either continue to have two or sell the Huskee then.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,820

Quote:
I would have to disagree on this.

I have a 1996 MTD model 600 with a 16hp B&G twin cylinder engine. My SiL's husband bought it new to cut their 1 acre property.

After they moved in 2007, they gave it to my FiL who used it on his almost 1-acre somewhat hilly property. During that time, he replaced the starter.

In 2012 he gave it to me after he needed to get a zero-turn mower due to physical limitations.

I am still using that mower on my 1/4-acre property today. In the time I have owned it I have rebuilt the carb once, battery once, and replaced the drive belts and idler pulley. I did add a bagging system to it.

Every fall I drain the fuel tank and run the engine until it burns off the residual fuel. I then pull the battery and put it on maintainer.

In the spring, I re-install the battery, clean or replace the plugs as needed, change the oil and the air filter. I then change the blades for the ones I sharpened.

While it does not have all the conveniences of a modern mower, it runs perfectly and still cuts my lawn very well.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Quote:
thanks!

Actually not a bad idea if you have the space to keep them out of the weather. Two machines for $850 (or better if you can swing it) means you aren't out of service if/when one breaks down. If you want it for year-round use, you might find one is better at the winter chores than the other.
I would at least make sure I can get a deck in good condition before I committed to that one.
That is a good idea. However we recently bought a house and the to do list/expenses list is long and another $500 could be better spent elsewhere. If the rider breaks down we’ll just have to bust out the pushmower. We can use it as motivation to get it fixed quickly lol.
lenaitch likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenfire View Post
Quote:
I would have to disagree on this.

I have a 1996 MTD model 600 with a 16hp B&G twin cylinder engine. My SiL's husband bought it new to cut their 1 acre property.

After they moved in 2007, they gave it to my FiL who used it on his almost 1-acre somewhat hilly property. During that time, he replaced the starter.

In 2012 he gave it to me after he needed to get a zero-turn mower due to physical limitations.

I am still using that mower on my 1/4-acre property today. In the time I have owned it I have rebuilt the carb once, battery once, and replaced the drive belts and idler pulley. I did add a bagging system to it.

Every fall I drain the fuel tank and run the engine until it burns off the residual fuel. I then pull the battery and put it on maintainer.

In the spring, I re-install the battery, clean or replace the plugs as needed, change the oil and the air filter. I then change the blades for the ones I sharpened.

While it does not have all the conveniences of a modern mower, it runs perfectly and still cuts my lawn very well.
I think a properly maintained machine can go a long way. That’s why the Huskee was in the running, confirmed proper maintenance. My uncle has had an mtd forever and he loves it.
Drachenfire likes this.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Quote:
because you can't turn your back on even half of a Simplicty for that price.
I’m taking this advice to heart. Going to look at the simplicity tommorrow. If it is in good condition I’ll pick it up. If it’s not I know I have a well maintained machine I can still buy from my neighbor that will achieve the primary goal of mowing.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

I picked up the tractor today and It’s a Deutz 1815H. Excited to see what I can find for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement