Underside Protection Of Zero Turn Deck - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Underside Protection of Zero Turn Deck

Hi y'all.

I bought a (freaking expensive) Husqvarna mower last year. We used it several times last year and had lots of trouble cleaning the grass from the Underside of the deck. Since this issue isn't going to go away, I'm interested in applying some sort of protection to the deck to keep the stuck grass from just devouring the metal.

What can I apply to the bottom of the deck to protect the metal? I was thinking a heavy coat (many thin) coat of an enamel. There's also rubber spray. What can I do? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
msjs91011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,596

Re: Underside Protection of Zero Turn Deck

Don't do the rubber. It will just cause the grass to stick.

Are you cutting when the grass is wet?

The decks are usually pretty durable and I am not sure what type of paint is going to really hold up the abuse and flying debris.

Best think to do is allow it to dry out and try not to store it wet.

Most of the mowers now will break down somewhere else before the deck wears out.
Bondo likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
What can I apply to the bottom of the deck to protect the metal?
Ayuh,.... Scrape it clean with a putty knife, 'n spray a good coat of Fluid Film on it,...
Do that a couple times a year, 'n it'll last forever,....
After the last run of the season bein' the most important one,...

'n mow the lawn when the grass is dry,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

Fluid Film is tacky and will also cause the grass to stick, been there done that.
If it's the better plate steel deck and not a stamped metal deck, I agree the mower will be junk before it rust out.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 336

I have a Scag ZT, 61" deck. The only time grass accumulates under the deck is when you cut wet grass, which is unavoidable at times.

After cutting when wet or damp, I just scrape the grass off when wet. If the grass dries, you have a lot more work. You can use a putty knife like Bondo suggest, but I got a mower scraper that you can attach an extension to so you can get the middle of the deck without banging your forearm

A huge mistake homeowners make with ZTs is taking a hose to the mower deck after mowing because they want to keep the mower nice and shiny. When cold water hits the hot spindle bearings, it can cause damage. Just use your leaf blower to blow off the mower after done, and if you want to wash it, wait until it cools down.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,474

There is a product often recommended but mentioning it would be of no value because of a language barrier.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,249

My Toro ZTR came with an attachment to use a water hose to inject water, instructions are to engage blade and run water in for a minute or two to clean the deck after every mowing. It seems pretty effective, but not 100%.
PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

I pulled the deck and discovered this, so I guess my lawn is going to look like crap for the next couple months because it's growing like crazy, baggers are $500 for my ztr, and I don't think attempting to mulch clippings that long will be successful at all. 23.1 hours is all this mower has on it. You'd think this would happen from the blade hitting something like a brick, but the blade doesn't have any dents at all. Pretty aggravated right now.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

On a positive note, the deck looks good.

Did you high side the deck on a root or something? To get a crack like that , you would have known you hit something.

Last edited by ZTMAN; 04-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,596

+1

Deck is fine.

Call Husqvarna and show them that picture. They are a good company. They might send you the spindle support as that is likely a casting failure.

Show them the blade too.

I would imagine that support, if the bearing is separate, is less than $100.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #11

Okay I will try that. I'm currently being told by Lowes ( I called for service thru them since I bought the extended plan, even though I'm within a year as of now) that it'll be between now and Friday for the local shop to call me then another week before service is done. Ridiculous in my opinion. I'll just try going direct thru Husqvarna

Old 04-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
On a positive note, the deck looks good.

Did you high side the deck on a root or something? To get a crack like that , you would have known you hit something.
No, hitting anything hard enough to cause that damage, would've damaged the blade, or deck frame, and there's no "evidence" anything was hit to cause this.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #13

That's the problem with buying from big box stores that don't service what they sell. Really butters my muffins when you have to wait to get something fixed.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 818

I don't understand why you don't want to mulch your clippings instead of collecting them. I've always done that and have 1 of the prettiest lawns in the neighborhood. Mulch is actually good for your lawn, it helps lawn maintain moisture as well as returning nutrients to the soil. It's also much more environmentally friendly and collecting and disposing of clippings.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #15

Because when the grass is 8 inches tall, and you cut it to 4, it causes these cheap soft aluminum mandrels to break.

I'm guessing we broke the mower early on last year because of the amount of foreign matter built up into the crack. Since I called around, neither warranty wanted to directly replace the broken mandrel until it was inspected and deemed that it wasn't accidental of intentional damage. Once I found that out, and coupled it with the fact that I want going to get to cut my grass til after the 21st, I took matters into my own hands and it ended up being very fruitful.

I found out that it was likely my service wouldn't be covered under either warranty. They don't give a crap about something breaking accidentally, if they deem it to be your fault they don't cover the costs of anything. I didn't want to take the chance of that and end up dropping an arm and a leg on one part and lots of labor. I didn't buy my house by paying everyone else to do things.

I did my research and found I could buy the whole dang mandrel, minus the mandrel pulley, for 23.99...on Walmart.com. Crazy right? I called the local Husqvarna service centers, there's 2,and priced the part. The one in Shiloh took forever to find the mandrel, then could only guess it was mine because it was out of the box. $28 is what he wanted. No biggie, I figured. I'll go out Saturday.

I called another place closer to me and they wanted $59.07. I laughed. I said really? "shiloh" wanted 28 bucks and I can find the exact mandrel on freaking Walmart for 23.99. He replied with "there's 5 different prices on Walmart". I'm like Okay, I appreciate your time, have a great day.

Searched for 532187292 on amazon: $22.99, free shipping, Husqvarna branded.

Swiped up 2.

I called and canceled the service. Then found out that the plan I dropped 340 dollars on at Lowes gives me the ability to save half off of my maintenance stuff. Woo-hoo!

tl;dr

Broke mandrel on mower. Called Lowes for service - "wait til 21st or later". Freaked. Called locals, wanted 60 for a mandrel. Found oem mandrel on amazon 22.99. Got 2. Win! Also learned I get half off maintenance. Double win!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement