Troybilt Trimmer Broken Pull Cord Repair Help - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 752

Troybilt Trimmer Broken Pull Cord Repair Help

I have a Troybilt TB25CS trimmer in which the pull cord has been pulled all of the way out of the unit and won't retract. Can anyone provide instructions on how to repair this? Written instructions and/or a video to view. I am told that this is a fairly "complicated" procedure. True? Thanks!
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Royal pain in the butt job.
Drop it off at a dealer and let them do it.
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Royal pain in the butt job.
Drop it off at a dealer and let them do it.
I checked with a dealer and they want almost half the cost of a new one. Thus, DIY time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Checked Youtube?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykenny View Post
I checked with a dealer and they want almost half the cost of a new one. Thus, DIY time.
Checked there too w little success.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 202

I do not recall ever repairing or replacing a pull rope on a trimmer, but have done quite a number on lawn mowers, etc., and imagine a trimmer to just be scaled down, so wouldn't call it complicated, but, as Joe said, they can definitely be a pain sometimes. That said, go ahead and take it off. It's a bit hard to describe, but once you have it in hand, and can see the guts firsthand, maybe one of the youtubes will make more sense. You need to remove the housing, probably held on with three or four screws, and, unless something has come apart, you will be able to flip it over and see how it works. Could be that the spring has come unattached from the housing, dirt, etc., making it an easily identified repair. The spring contains stored energy, so handle it carefully, and protect your eyes, but, again, it's not a complicated device; just, as you'll see, a pain to work on.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #7

Troy built has been bought out since they went bankrupted years ago and cheapened everything there building.
The pull cord on my brand new rototiller broke the first week I owned it, it looked like cotton cording.
Replaced the whole housing cord and all. A month later it rotted out again and broke in the middle of the cord.
I own Stile and Homelite line trimmers and have used them for at least 5 years trimming 6 yards a week, never once an issue with the pull starts.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 107

Pretty sure sign when an established high end brand ends up being sold at the Orange apron or blue vest store something is amiss.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement