Troy Bilt Won't Generate Spark At Low Rpm (pull-string) - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phuz

Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 263

Troy Bilt won't generate spark at low rpm (pull-string)

I've run into some trouble recently with my Troy Bilt weed whacker. (TB525ET)
It won't start and it showed no spark when pulling the pull-string, so logical first step is to replace the plug. That failed, as I figured it would, so I took everything apart down to the flywheel and magnets. The magnets feel strong. I attached my cordless driver and spun the motor and once I get it rotating fast enough, I get a spark; however, the speed at which the spark appears is much faster than you are able to pull by hand, hence the reason I can't get it to start.
Is the problem likely the magnets or the module (coil) with the plug wire?

Last edited by phuz; 09-01-2017 at 12:36 PM.
phuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,378

Re: Troy Bilt won't generate spark at low rpm (pull-string)

That's about all that is left to the system.
Clearances between flywheel and magnets and pickup are all correct?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
That's about all that is left to the system.
Clearances between flywheel and magnets and pickup are all correct?
I replaced the coil, and it generates spark at lower RPM now, but I must give it a pretty hard pull to get the speed it needs. I couldn't find the clearances for this system, so I went off others (.01"). I didn't have a proper gauge, so I used a business card which ended up being .015" according to my digital gauge. These magnets don't get weak, do they?
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

I doubt magnets lose it.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,251

I have the Sears Craftsman brand of this same trimmer. It's 4 stroke and is hard to get started. What I found the problem to be is the choke flap is plastic and has bent out slightly over time and is letting too much air into the engine.

If you remove the cover to the filter/intake, you'll see the flap. To get it started, I go through the procedures on the label to start it but while doing so, I press the choke flap so it covers the intake port better. It then starts every time. I don't use it much so I have't attempted to replace or fix the plastic choke choke part.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
I have the Sears Craftsman brand of this same trimmer. It's 4 stroke and is hard to get started. What I found the problem to be is the choke flap is plastic and has bent out slightly over time and is letting too much air into the engine.

If you remove the cover to the filter/intake, you'll see the flap. To get it started, I go through the procedures on the label to start it but while doing so, I press the choke flap so it covers the intake port better. It then starts every time. I don't use it much so I have't attempted to replace or fix the plastic choke choke part.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately those were some of the first things I looked at, and they are OK. My issue is spark related, not air/fuel.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

It turns out that if you're an idiot, and put the red cover back on while the coil wire is not positioned properly, it will get hot, melt, and ground itself to the exhaust shield and you won't get any spark. Re-routing it the proper way yields a running motor.
bob22 likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuz View Post
It turns out that if you're an idiot, and put the red cover back on while the coil wire is not positioned properly, it will get hot, melt, and ground itself to the exhaust shield and you won't get any spark. Re-routing it the proper way yields a running motor.
We've all been there. When the impossible is happening, look for the simple explanation.

I put an engine back together and couldn't figure out how my fuel injection supply and return lines wouldn't fit. Turns out I was trying for over 2 hours to connect the wrong ends.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,251

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuz View Post
Oops. That happened to my parents Firebird about 25 years ago after I installed a new starter. The positive cable was too close to the exhaust. My mom took it for a test drive and she was gone for 15 minutes. Finally comes walking up the road screaming at me that it stopped running and the lights were flickering and something was sizzling under the hood. Grabbed an adjustable wrench and took off running. The battery sounded like boiling water. Managed to get the battery unhooked without blowing myself up and pushed it home. Taped up the cable, routed it the correct way and amazingly, everything was fine.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement