Stihl FS100-RX Hollow Shaft To Solid Shaft Conversion - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 622

Stihl FS100-RX hollow shaft to solid shaft conversion

I've been monitoring craigslist for a good used Stihl brushcutter for several months and just acquired an FS100-RX model. The only issue I have with it, aside from the fact I need to get it back into service after being put up in storage facility for several years, is with the hollow shaft.

Apparently the "RX" models were made with hollow shafts and smaller gearboxes than other pro model Stihl units in order to shave off weight and serve as a dedicated, high performance line trimmer. They recommend against using blades due to this fact. On the other hand, it presents as one of the best performance/weight ratios available for a dedicated line trimmer.

Anyone here have an RX model Stihl that can comment on the ability to use blades or converting one to a solid shaft to better handle blade use?
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,874

Re: Stihl FS100-RX hollow shaft to solid shaft conversion

Hi Joe,
I have the FS85 model and it came with a lighter weight shaft but they sold me the brush cutter blade to go with it. Well, in just a few months the shaft broke and I took it back to find out what happened. The mechanic showed me a coffee can 3/4 full of shaft ends and said they never should have suggested the brush blade with this shaft. He covered it under warranty and replaced it with a solid shaft. Never had another failure.

I will admit I didn't take it easy on the first shaft and had they told me to be careful it probably would have lasted a bit longer. But then I probably would have had to pay for the solid shaft, thank you Stihl.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
...He covered it under warranty and replaced it with a solid shaft. Never had another failure.

I will admit I didn't take it easy on the first shaft and had they told me to be careful it probably would have lasted a bit longer. But then I probably would have had to pay for the solid shaft, thank you Stihl.

Bud
Thanks Bud, really appreciate the feedback. Understanding the cost was covered for you under warranty, but do you recall what the replacement bill was?

I'm probably going to do it myself if I can find a suitable replacement shaft on fleabay. I believe the FS110 shaft should fit.

Did they replace your gearbox or leave it stock? I believe the gearbox n these models are the other half of the "RX" features being lighter duty than the other pro models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

FWIW, here's a Youtube showing an FS80 being converted from hollow shaft to solid shaft via an FS85 donor shaft. I'm still researching if this will work for FS100RX model. See no reason why not, especially seeing this...

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 07-18-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

There were no charges at all as he accepted full responsibility for the failure.

It can't be too hard to change as he did it while talking to me. But no, he did not change the gear box.

As for your other thread, I've purchased 2 new carbs and one rebuild kit. But got mad before I tried to install that kit and bought an electric weed trimmer. I will eventually buy another carb or figure out their kit as i do like the machine and love the brush blade. BUT, I will find a source of gas without ethanol which I believe is the source of my carb problems.

Bud
Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks Bud. I believe you are referring to my thread about the 18v cordless trimmer?

That machine is a beast for an 18v cordless unit. I was going to convert it to a brushcutter, but the handlebar kit I purchased won't fit the smaller shaft diameter. Since the trimmer end is detachable, they made that side of the shaft smaller diameter than standard. I'd have to hack a coupler onto the shaft in order to get my Stihl bike handle kit to fit. I decided to just look for a Stihl brushcutter to fit them onto.

So, that and just out of caution, I'm going to reserve it for line usage only. Its handled everything I've put in front of it though.

I got the RX100 for such a good deal, it was hard to pass on. And I can mount the bike handles right on it. I just have to get a longer cable kit to reach the new throttle location.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #7

Sorry, I didn't open the other thread, just thought it was the same machine. I'm often guilty of not reading things carefully enough.

As for the bicycle handles I had the same decision to make when I bought mine. I opted for not using them and absolutely have never been concerned about using the brush cutter with just the loop handle. In fact, those bicycle bars would have slowed me down significantly, along with the neck strap. I alternated between the brush cutter and my chain saw and nailed myself twice with the chain saw, nothing bad. But never had a problem with the Stihl. But safety is your call.

Bud
Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

Update: I called the local Shihl dealer today and learned I can get a new stock solid drive shaft for $12.86

Dealer said it was an easy DIY install.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the update, reasonable price and easy DIY, can't beat that.

Bud
Old 07-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #10

Update: Got the shaft in house and picked up an air filter. Passed on the $8 new spark plug for now...

Part # 4137-711-3200

Now, the only remaining possible concern/issue I have is with the gearbox. The dealer showed me how the FX gearbox housings are plastic with a solid steel hub. Also, the thrust plate appears to be a bit different. It has the 1" arbor ring to sit the blade attachment on, but it also has a flange sitting higher than the arbor. I haven't seen this type arbor before and I'm trying to figure out how to secure a blade to it. I believe it will have to be removed and replaced with a brushcutter thrust plate, but I'm not certain.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 07-19-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement