Snowblower Won't Start - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes

Old 02-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 70

Snowblower Won't Start

Hello from the frozen North.

I have an Ariens Classic 824 snowblower that my father in law gave me a couple of years ago. Every year its started without fail after a couple of cranks but this year it wouldn't go. It has an electric start as well as a manual pullcord however the electric start did nothing, didn't even turn the thing over. I decided to fix it.

I pulled the electric starter motor off and stripped it and cleaned it up a bit. The brushes were a little worn but I managed to get the thing to work (off the blower) eventually.

The fuel that was in the tank is old so I decided to dump it and put new in. I removed the fuel tank and disconnected the fuel line from beneath the tank so that I could fully empty the tank. I blew through the fuel line until just air was coming out the carburettor end.

I removed the carb bowl and cleaned it and cleaned the plug with the little holes in it then refitted it. I put the electric starter back on and reattached the feul line to the fuel tank and bolted it back on and filled it with good fuel.

The thing still won't start.

I now suspect the spark plug even though it tests out ok with a multi meter plus I cleaned it pretty good (wasn't even fouled up) however there is one other thing thats changed since my intervention and that is the primer no longer seems to work. Previously after a few pumps of the primer bulb excess fuel would leak out from the carb. This is by design. Now I can't get fuel to come out no matter how many times I pump it. I can't figure out why as I didn't touch it during my servicing. The only thing that could have affected it was my blowing into the fuel line.

Anyway, my mrs is out at the shops getting me a new plug. In the meantime has anyone any ideas why my primer bulb no longer does what it did before?

Last edited by swearbox; 02-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
swearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

Re: Snowblower Won't Start

Ok...more info. I tipped a little bit of fuel into the spark chamber then fitted the spark plug and yanked on the pullcord. Started straight away however only chugged away for as long as that bit of fuel lasted then failed to restart. That means it must be a carb issue then, yes? Damn I wish I knew just a little bit more about how these small engines work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

If it only ran for the time that the gas lasted, I would say that something is blocked between the tank & the carb.
Dave Sal likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

The carb bowl fills up though so fuel is getting to it. There has to be a blockage somewhere inside the carb that's preventing fuel getting into the spark chamber...this is all figured out by observation though...I don't really know much about how carbs work.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 306

The main jet is probably clogged. You need a small wire to clean it out.
mark_kershner likes this.
Tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Guapo

There are 3 things that control the gas flow in a carb. They are the float, needle & seat. When the gas fills the bowl, it pushes the float upwards & the float pushes the needle against the seat to prevent the gas from overflowing. Remove the gas line from the tank & blow through it while you move the float up & down. When the float is down, you should be able to blow through hose. If you can't, it's clogged. When the float is level, it should block the air.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
swearbox (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymbo View Post
The main jet is probably clogged. You need a small wire to clean it out.

There's a 1/2" bolt at the bottom of the carb bowl that has holes drilled in it. I cleaned all if that out with wires and blew it with compressed air...there must be another blockage somewhere.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,852

If you took it all apart and cleaned as per post 6, maybe a new carb or a rebuild kit might help.
https://www.google.com/search?source...arch&kpvalbx=1
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,340

Quote:
The fuel that was in the tank is old
Sounds like the carb is screwed up with Ethanol gas. That is, gas with 10% Ethonol in it. Ethonol gas, if left in for a long period of time, (over the summer for a snowblower) will block and screw up the jets in the carburetor. You must now pull and clean the carburetor. Best to just pull take apart and sit in carburetor cleaner for several hours. Next summer either run all the gas out or add gas stabilizer to the last tank. I prefer to do both. Incidentally I have the same problem although I thought I ran all the gas out the last time I used it several years ago. The snow blower is out in the shed and I decided we are not going to get that much snow this winter so I came back inside where it's warm. I'll fix it next spring.
Small engine repair shops have made a fortune on Ethonol gas in lawn movers, chain saws and snow blowers.

Last edited by hkstroud; 02-02-2019 at 07:31 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearbox View Post
Ok...more info. I tipped a little bit of fuel into the spark chamber then fitted the spark plug and yanked on the pullcord. Started straight away however only chugged away for as long as that bit of fuel lasted then failed to restart. That means it must be a carb issue then, yes? Damn I wish I knew just a little bit more about how these small engines work.

I felt the same way so I bought a repair manual that covers most common small engines and took a non-credit small engine course at the local community college.
SeniorSitizen and jimfarwell like this.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,818

I concur with jmon. It sounds like a clogged orifice within the carb.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,198

Others gave great advice.

I will add a few things.

Make sure your primer bulb does not have a hole in it. They do crack and go bad.

Next I also have a couple of things like a generator and snowblower I dont use for a year or two. So common to have carburetor problems. Even with me driving 30 minutes to buy non ethanol fuel for my small engines.
If I cant get them running in a few minutes I just replace the carburetor.

For 20 bucks or less that is a easier option for most. Get it up and running. Because these are items I need now when I go to use them. I can take the oem one off and piss about with it when I am bored. If I want to.

Over a lot of year was not an option. Since my average for a small engine carb would be about a 100 bucks. Even oem rebuild kits can be 40.

Now there are cheap Chinese replacements. They seem to work good. Now I am sure they cant be made of the same high quality as oem. But they work and look the same.

Check amazon and ebay. for 10 to 20 dollars it worth having a spare as a option to get you up and running.

example below of last two I purchased for some engines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,340

I would say that RRH is the smart one in the class. That's what I will do if I can find one for that old Craftsman snow blower.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #14
Guapo

Did you remove the needle & seat? Someone else called a jet. No matter what you call it, it needs to be cleaned if what I said it post #6 doesn't work.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Did you remove the needle & seat? Someone else called a jet. No matter what you call it, it needs to be cleaned if what I said it post #6 doesn't work.

I did.

Update: Thanks to everyone who contributed. I removed the carb and cleaned out all the ports and jets and blew it all out with compressed air. Put it back together and it fired first time. The only issue I have is that the electric start doesn't start it up. Not sure if the splines on it are worn but it doesn't appear to be engaging with the flywheel properly. But that's for another day, just glad the thing works with the pull start. Thanks again everyone
jmon, jimfarwell and mark_kershner like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to swearbox For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement