Snowblower - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 806

Snowblower

My two stage snowblower stopped throwing snow suddenly...the left side made a screeching sound. Auger doesn't turn using controls and I thought I smell rubber....am I looking at a belt or something else possibly?

I should add this happened as I picked up a bit of loose gravel from my driveway.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Sounds more like you've suck up a stone and it's jammed.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 202

With the engine off, and key removed or spark plug wire disconnected, see if you can move the auger by hand. If you can't move it, probably some stone wedged in someplace, as Joe mentioned. If you can move it some, probably a belt or a shear pin. Once you have it running, and before resuming, check the shoes, to see if maybe they should be lowered to keep it above the gravel.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII
With the engine off, and key removed or spark plug wire disconnected, see if you can move the auger by hand. If you can't move it, probably some stone wedged in someplace, as Joe mentioned. If you can move it some, probably a belt or a shear pin. Once you have it running, and before resuming, check the shoes, to see if maybe they should be lowered to keep it above the gravel.
Thanks. Auger won't move at all. Belts seemed loose, but pins looked in tact. I'll check again this afternoon. It appears as if I'm going to have to separate the two halves regardless to investigate.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

So I found three rocks jammed in the auger. I removed them which allows the auger and impeller to spin. Right side trigger moves the machine forward, but left side doesn't do anything. The trigger seemed loose too. I took the front off amd followed the cable down and didn't notice it was broken or disconnectd. Is there a shear pin or something with the left side of wheel that could be looked at?
Old 01-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #6

Sounds like the auger cable or rod needs to be adjusted. You should be able to spot a lock nut on a long threaded sleeve, a turnbuckle, a double ended nut, or something like that, but it's routine maintenance, so your manual should tell you exactly what to do. And it could be that you stretched the belt enough that it needs to be replaced, but I'd start by seeing how much adjustment is left. If you remove the center cover, you may also see that there is another hole that you can set the moveable sheave in.

Last edited by DexterII; 01-10-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #7

Adjusted the auger cable and it helped the play in the lever, but the auger spins when the handle lever is released and slows when it is depressed. Also when the auger lever is depressed it seems like there is quite a bit of play in the auger belt. Might be time for a new belt. I can't figure out why the auger lever seems like it's doing the opposite of what it's suppose to.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11
Adjusted the auger cable and it helped the play in the lever, but the auger spins when the handle lever is released and slows when it is depressed. Also when the auger lever is depressed it seems like there is quite a bit of play in the auger belt. Might be time for a new belt. I can't figure out why the auger lever seems like it's doing the opposite of what it's suppose to.
Update: duh! Somehow the belt got rerouted to the outsider a pulley ....problem solved. Also, I'm an idiot
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
Also, I'm an idiot
Well okay, but don't get a big head over it, because you're not the only one here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement