Riding Mower To Replace 29 Yr Old John Deere? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 706

Riding Mower to replace 29 yr old John deere?

I was hoping to find comparison reviews online, but all I got was complaints about the mowers people wound up with. Does anyone here know if there is a good replacement for my great little old JD STX 38...short of replacing it with a much inflated IMO newer one? Are there any great maybe not so well advertised ones out there that would be as maintenance free and eager to please as this old one was? I was hoping to stay under 2000.00. Thanks!

Last edited by onjtrainee; 06-19-2015 at 03:31 PM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
I was hoping to find comparison reviews online, but all I got was complaints about the mowers people wound up with. Does anyone here know if there is a good replacement for my great little old JD STX 38...short of replacing it with a much inflated IMO newer one? Are there any great maybe not so well advertised ones out there that would be as maintenance free and eager to please as this old one was? I was hoping to stay under 2000.00. Thanks!
It would be a great day if you could find one that would equal your little old JD STX 38 but the odds aren't looking too good.

I have a JD 135 LE with a little over 200 hours that has served me well. If I were to replace it a D 110 or D 125 might take its place.

While looking on line I see my Lowe's has a $200.00 mail in rebate ( for in store use ) presently, but if you don't shop lowe's it has no value.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 06-19-2015 at 07:01 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Not hearing too much happiness around the D 110, but maybe that was a fluke. Have heard the box store JD's are not the same as the dealer..but not sure what the dif is except for huge bux. I'm still looking to get my oldie goin, but it's getting pretty late in the season, and for the first time in 25 years I've let the county mow the right of way, and now remember why I always did it myself. Need a solution pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 388

onjtrainee,
You still messing around and not getting your old JD running?
What's the deal?
Last report was of friend's guess of a stuck valve.
You were supposed to have that thing going over a month ago.

With the Central Texas rains, bet you will never find your miniature donkey.

You need a small Kubota and a Bush Hog.

RR

Last edited by Rough Rooster; 06-19-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rooster View Post
ojtrainee,
You still messing around and not getting your old JD running?
What's the deal?
Last report was of friend's guess of a stuck valve.
You were supposed to have that thing going over a month ago.

With the Central Texas rains, bet you will never find your miniature donkey.

You need a small Kubota and a Bush Hog.

RR
Guess I need a new handle..yeah, figured you'd call me out on this. But it's been a real freak show of problems. It wasn't a stuck valve, but a busted relay. We replaced the relay (twice) first time it was just defective, hope it's still goin, the next prob was the coil/starter if I remember right. Anyway, we bogged down when JD couldn't get the part number right. My helper dude got kinda lost after the rains...haven't re approached on the subject yet, because I'm just too frustrated with all the complications..Oh yeah, don't get me started on my Ford Tractor and the rattle I've spent the last 3 months trying to arrive at a diagnosis of what may be terminal. So, when the fridge let out this horrible shudder one night and I was forced to buy a college dorm one before I realized they could be resurrected easily with a five dollar coil brush put to work, and that I really wasn't one calamity away from annialiation, my phone went dead for two weeks. It's ok...just went back to the bottom of my priority pile. Still think you live too close not to come by and give me a hand.........unless razzin me is just too much fun.

Last edited by onjtrainee; 06-19-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 97

I know my mother in law has had issues with her JD D110. I bought a Huskee 42 in riding mower with a Kohler engine (can't remember hp) from Tractor Supply and haven't had any major issues. I guess it is a base model or the next step above base and I probably could use a slightly bigger mower for my almost 2.5 acres, but I does the job. My grass is almost 3 ft tall due to almost non stop rain all of May and although slow going, it is going through it with minimal bogging. I would definitely recommend at least looking at the Huskee line.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Centex2011 For This Useful Post:
onjtrainee (06-20-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 20

Just bought one of these to replace my JD L100 that is falling apart and the V-twin Kohler runs so smooth...
Attached Thumbnails
Riding Mower to replace 29 yr old John deere?-p7130054.jpg  
rickwhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwhoo View Post
Just bought one of these to replace my JD L100 that is falling apart and the V-twin Kohler runs so smooth...
Sure is perdy! How much did you wind up paying for it? I bought an EGO push battery powered the other day...until i figure this out....so far pretty dang impressed with it!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

It was $1699. Never had a V-twin before. Love how smooth it runs and how it sounds.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
It was $1699. Never had a V-twin before. Love how smooth it runs and how it sounds.
Keep us posted if you're still loving it months from now! For that price I could do both the push mower and one like yours and still be under what I paid for my JD 29 years ago!

Not sure what a V-twin is tho...
Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

2 cylinder engine
Old 07-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

Looks really sweet. You got it at Tractor Supply?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Home Depot
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Home Depot
That's where I got my battery powered mower....5 yr. warranty! I think HD is stepping up with some pretty good machines. I did alot of research on the Ego tho...did you do the same?

Can't quite make out the name of yours from your pic.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by onjtrainee View Post
That's where I got my battery powered mower....5 yr. warranty! I think HD is stepping up with some pretty good machines. I did alot of research on the Ego tho...did you do the same?

Can't quite make out the name of yours from your pic.
I did some research on some other forums first. HD was just the closest to buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement