Riding Mower Issues - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,650

Riding mower issues

People,

Have 2 problems-

1) No start- turn key switch and no start. New battery, with about 12.4 v right now. But when I attach battery cables to battery, then touch the positive cable to the starter terminal it starts!

So, I figured could be the solenoid. Tested it and it registers 10.5v only. Is that a bad solenoid? I keep buying solenoids every year, it seems. Im tired ofg it and was wondering if I can simply bypass it along with key switch , by installing a simple toggle type switch. Can that work?

2) when running normally with blades deck on highest position (grass cut high), then I choose to drop the blade deck just one notch, blades turn faster and engine speeds up. Huh?? Anyone know why?

Thanks.
papereater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 68

Re: Riding mower issues

On the no starting problem I need more info.

What model and make?

Does the key switch work? Is it turning over the engine fast? Do you have a brake lock and or a seat switch interlock? Do you have a fuel pump? Do you have a on off switch before the key switch?

On the deck running faster, I would venture to guess the blade height you are using on the final mow height is the actual engineered height for the mower and when you adjust it there the belt is tensioned properly because it is level with the drive thus putting less stress on the engine.
cee3peeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cee3peeoh For This Useful Post:
papereater (09-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,642

No toggle switch to starter!

You will need a push-button switch that is normally off, because the starter only needs to motor when starting, not always.

And there must be a reason that you need solenoids often, something burning it out?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
papereater (09-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee3peeoh View Post
On the no starting problem I need more info.

What model and make?

Does the key switch work? Is it turning over the engine fast? Do you have a brake lock and or a seat switch interlock? Do you have a fuel pump? Do you have a on off switch before the key switch?

On the deck running faster, I would venture to guess the blade height you are using on the final mow height is the actual engineered height for the mower and when you adjust it there the belt is tensioned properly because it is level with the drive thus putting less stress on the engine.
Thanks for the quick reply, cee.

Model # is 13A4667 F118. MTD mower, with tecumseh engine 13HP.

The key switch does work. Yes, the engine turns over "fast". meaning just like it has for years when turning over since new. No problem there. All kinds of safety switches, of course. The safety switch has caused problems in the past. maybe look at that? I have a hunch that is acting up again.......

Good info on the blade height.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
No toggle switch to starter!

You will need a push-button switch that is normally off, because the starter only needs to motor when starting, not always.

And there must be a reason that you need solenoids often, something burning it out?

ED
Good tip, denorg. Push button- where can I buy one online? Amazon? Do I need to look for some kind of wire thickness?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,406

Could go for the hot rod racer look......https://www.amazon.com/Jtron-Ignitio...+stater+switch
papereater (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

thanks, Greg! Yeah, that should work. But dont worry, looks done matter much on a MTD mower. Any kind will do. But will my connectors currently on my solenoid simplyb afix onto the bottom of that push button switch? They are flat, connectors........

So, that switch on Amazon is 50Amps. Is that right for my mower? There is a 20A fuse next to my solenoid, if that helps. But it is NOT connected to the solnoid. (what is it for?And should it even matter?)

Last edited by papereater; 09-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

But a "racer" start button will make the mower go faster ya know....
Old 09-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
Good tip, denorg. Push button- where can I buy one online? Amazon? Do I need to look for some kind of wire thickness?

Thanks.
I like Greg's racer button, but I would just go to an auto parts store, they all carry them, and no waiting for Snail Mail delivery.

And you can look at the terminals to see if they are spade, or cylinder right there.
The amps on that one is the maximum that it can handle, so your 20 will work fine.

ED
papereater (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,466

A toggle switch would only be -to energize the solenoid- for cranking. Spring loaded toggle switches are available.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
papereater (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

Thanks, people. Im on the right path now........No more stupid solenoids. It's switch time.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

I picked the Amazon unit because of its specific designed label "engine start" . Switches installed on motorized vehicles if they ever get operated by someone other then the one that installed them, can get confusing, And labels may fall off after the next rain.

A starter is not something someone needs to be spinning while thinking they are turning the headlights on, and the engine is running at the time.

And the higher amp rating of the switch is a positive also. DC current running through make/break switches seem to wear hard IMO.
Mike Milam likes this.
papereater (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #13

Thanks again. Just thought of one detail- how will I turn the engine off? Let's say I connect the 2 hot terminals to the push start, should the key switch still operate normally and turn off the engine if I turn the key off? Makes sense to me. Comments?

(I am going to simply extend the 2 hot wire terminals from the solenoid while keeping it in "circuit", so the key off should shut off engine, IMO)
Old 09-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
Thanks again. Just thought of one detail- how will I turn the engine off? Let's say I connect the 2 hot terminals to the push start, should the key switch still operate normally and turn off the engine if I turn the key off? Makes sense to me. Comments?

(I am going to simply extend the 2 hot wire terminals from the solenoid while keeping it in "circuit", so the key off should shut off engine, IMO)
You are correct.

The engine run circuit, and the start circuit are separate.

But both are tied into the key switch, this prevents the starter from being engaged while the engine is off. And wasting the battery charge.

ED
papereater (09-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement