Riding Mower Gas Pedal - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By DexterII
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,772

Riding mower gas pedal

Just began looking at small riding mowers.

The least expensive, 1,000, at Sears didn't have a gas pedal which I thought strange. Is this normal? I like driving golf carts and not sure I'd be comfortable without a pedal.

I'll check the big box stores and the Tractor store before deciding. My main concern is paying for repairs.

Not sure of size of my lawn, maybe 1/3 acre.

Maybe since maintenance is a worry I should just have someone mow for me. The only estimate I've gotten was $30 for front and side (plus trimming) and he refused to do the back yard because of trees and shrubs.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,290

Re: Riding mower gas pedal

Most lower cost riders have a lever on the "dash". for controlling the engine speed.

ED
Bondo likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,118

+1

The pedals now are usually rocker pedals for forward and reverse hydrostatic control (i.e. drive wheels).

Craftsman aren't my favorite to be honest as they are all bolted together on the frames vs. welded. Tend to be a bit rattly and loose.

Might want to check local ads for a nice used unit that you can pick up on the cheap.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,511

Mine only has a clutch / brake. The throttle control is on one side of the seat and the shifter is on the other. It hasn't been a problem for me.

If you mow on a regular basis (to not overload the engine), change the oil per specs and keep it a shed or garage your repair expense should be minimal. Since 2001 I have replaced one belt driving the blade and one clutch wheel. Total parts cost less than $50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,414

Being the back has that many trees and shrubs consider planting Monkey grass and only mow it once / year, then have the remainder mowed. I mow mine, that's in a small shaded area on the north side of the house, every February and wish it do well in full sun, but it doesn't do well in full sun here at the ranch.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 440

On that small of a lawn,with obstacles, you may want to consider a good quality self propelled push mower instead of a rider. It will take a shorter amount of time and be a lot cheaper
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 244

A "gas pedal", as we think of it in a car or truck, is, in general, a misnomer for lawn mowers. While affected, engine speed is a separate factor from ground speed, and you typically should not use engine speed to control ground speed. In fact, and check the manual on whatever you buy to make sure, but many times you will find that the manufacturer recommends running the engine at full throttle, regardless of the ground speed. One reason for this is that lawn mower engines in the size that you will want are air cooled, meaning that a fan on the flywheel cools the engine, and that fan needs to run at a designed speed in order to be efficient. Also, mowing the lawn means that you have grass clippings in the area of the engine, and this same fan helps to blow them across and past the engine, so that they do not build up in the cooling fins. So, if the "gas pedal" doesn't control the speed, what does? This is the purpose of the transmission, which you control either "conventionally", which means a stick, and I'm sure NOT what you want, or by hydraulics, which you most likely DO want. If you are looking at, for example, a zero turn mower, you have a throttle handle by the key, which you will not touch from the time that the engine is running until you shut it off, and levers connected to the transmissions that control your ground speed.
lenaitch likes this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18,338

Not sure who refused to mow just because of a few things to mow around, but I would be out of business if I did that.
With that small a lot I'd hire it out.
Someone that can not work on there own equipment and mowing there own lawn is facing the price of the mower, buying a gas, can, going to need some form of compressor to blow up tires that will go flat, oil, something as simple as sharpening the blades, changing the oil every year, trying to get it started every season can be a nightmare and not cheap.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 824

I would think a foot pedal on a riding mower/lawn tractor would be tiring and make it difficult to maintain a steady speed, especially if there is any bouncing around. I don't think I can recall seeing one with a pedal but assume they exist. My 'real' tractor had a pedal for its hydro drive but also a cruise control which was handy for mowing among other uses. Unless your 1/3 acre is completely clear, you might find a ride-em more trouble than they're worth since you will likely need a push mower to go around trees, etc.
joecaption likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,042

At $30.00 dollars a week it will add up pretty fast, see if you have a Snapper dealer near you , and look at the RE 110 model, it would probably be what your looking for, here's a link look for yourself.

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pro...wn-mowers.html
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Just began looking at small riding mowers.

The least expensive, 1,000, at Sears didn't have a gas pedal which I thought strange. Is this normal? I like driving golf carts and not sure I'd be comfortable without a pedal.

I'll check the big box stores and the Tractor store before deciding. My main concern is paying for repairs.

Not sure of size of my lawn, maybe 1/3 acre.

Maybe since maintenance is a worry I should just have someone mow for me. The only estimate I've gotten was $30 for front and side (plus trimming) and he refused to do the back yard because of trees and shrubs.
Ayuh,..... Generally speakin', cars, trucks, golf-carts, 'n go-carts have a foot throttle,....
Where as tractors use a hand throttle to keep the implement speeds up while yer doin' whatever yer doin' with the tractor,..
Mowin', tillin', whatever,...
Tractor control is done with a clutch pedal, or the newer stuff with the hydro-static clutch pedal,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement