Ransoms Xm3606 Drive Belt Inhibiting Starting - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo

Old 04-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 88

Ransoms xm3606 drive belt inhibiting starting

The belt from the engine to the transmission is tight enough that it's very hard to start the engine. I've had this mower for 5 years and this started two years ago. Do belts shrink? It was simple to start when I bought it. The engine shaft and the pully for the trans are stationary, they can't be adjusted that I can see.
snooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: Ransoms xm3606 drive belt inhibiting starting

Quote:
It was simple to start when I bought it. The engine shaft and the pully for the trans are stationary, they can't be adjusted that I can see.
Ayuh,.... If That is the case, the belt has Always been tight,....

No, belts don't shrink, they only grow,....
Msradell likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #3

That would be my expectation as well. I have never seen a belt shrink, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I was thinking with maybe wet grass or something like that over time it was possible. Starts first pull with that belt off but put the belt on and I can't pull it hard enough to get it to turn over.
I'm getting a new belt regardless this one does show a bit of wear. I might even opt for another 1/16 of an inch larger just to give me a bit more slack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Ayuh,... What yer explainin' makes No sense, at All,....

Either the belt is part of a clutch system, 'n should be loose, or it's supposed to be a tight belt,...
If it's supposed to be a tight belt, the transmission isn't goin' into neutral properly,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... What yer explainin' makes No sense, at All,....

Either the belt is part of a clutch system, 'n should be loose, or it's supposed to be a tight belt,...
If it's supposed to be a tight belt, the transmission isn't goin' into neutral properly,....
The belt is supposed to be loose. It has a tensioner pully that engages the belt to tighten it up when drive is engaged. However, the belt is not very loose when the tensioner is not engaged - it's actually hard to take off the pulleys (but I can get it off).

If the transmission isn't going into neutral properly, I'd almost think the weels would turn as the engine turns over. That doesn't happen however.

I appreciate the advice. I agree, it's not making a lot of sense to me either. Either I'm missing something fundamental or just not explaining it right. Figured you guys on here would give me something to think about. I think my next step is to have my son stop by while I have it lifted and I can pull on it and he can watch to see if that transmission pulley is turning. Maybe it's turning hard (due to some problem with the transmission when in neutral).

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement