Problems With New Briggs Carburetor (old Generator) - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg

Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Problems with new briggs carburetor (old generator)

Hello,

Really trying to get an old generator back working before Irma hits.

Bought a new briggs carb 591378. It appears to fit, and I've been able to start the engine, but there are problems.

There is a chrome metal fuel inlet elbow that appears to be a press in? type fit. Apparently it came loose on the new carb. I had gas leaking all over, and the elbow just fell out with the fuel line. Pushing it back in doesn't work. Tapping with a rubber mallet is awkward and doesn't seem to work. Is this a press in fit, and if so , how can I properly secure the elbow?

The other problem I'm having is with the connection for the throttle/governor. Unlike most carbs, the new one has this small plastic clip attached to the throttle lever on the carb. Instead of a hole to feed the governor arm through, it apparently clips on. The problem is it will clip at any position on the governor arm. When I started the engine, it revved very high. I'm assuming this may be because of the governor linkage not being connected properly to the new carb.

Thanks for any help on this. Really going to need the generator this time.
berniemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,082

Re: Problems with new briggs carburetor (old generator)

You got a defective unit, you will never get the fitting to not leak.

Take it back and get another.

Read the installation instructions for the governor linkage hook-up procedure.

ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 09-08-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelin erer
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
You got a defective unit, you will never get the fitting to not leak.

Take it back and get another.

Read the installation instructions for the governor linkage hook-up procedure.

ED
Sorry, but this is pretty poor and careless advice. The elbow was fixable, and the manual really isn't going to tell me how to get the replacement carb running right.

It appears the friction fit elbow just hadn't been tapped in enough. I worked on it tapping with a heavy hammer, and although it moved off center, I was able to get it secure enough that it wasn't falling out when pulling.

As this is a "replacement" carb, it seems more adjustments had to be made. Unfortunately, the previous spring setting for the governor was way too tight. After lots of wrangling, I was able to get things back to a slower idle. I then used the throttle screw to adjust up speed.

The generator is running now, but I still have this constant quick "cough" while it's running. I don't know if it will affect when I have it plugged into the grid, as I don't have my new cord run to panel yet. Wanted to grab a new plug, but stores already closed. I found a new NGK FR4 in garage. Pulled old plug from briggs, and it was an off brand gator 77-303. I can't be certain , but after a bunch of google searches, it appears the FR4 can cross with this gator plug. Would like to know if anyone can confirm that, or how I might solve the coughing while running. Cough appears constant at just about any speed, but doesn't appear to be bad enough to drop RPM.

Thanks!
berniemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,082

I disagree with your opinion.

Careless is fixing a carburetor with a "BIG HAMMER".

All you did was to make a potential bomb out of this thing. You did not fix it, you " rigged it".

You are dealing with one of the most explosive commonly distributed chemicals around and once you have experienced a gas fire, you too will be more cautious.

I stand on my original advice that the leak cannot be correctly sealed by you.

ED
47_47 and Dave Sal like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement