Please Help! Problem With My Craftsman Yt3000 - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Milam

Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Exclamation

please help! problem with my craftsman yt3000

hello everyone! this is my first post. I'm hoping someone could provide a little help with a very frustrating problem I've ran into on my craftsman yt3000. I've had it for about 8 years now and have needed to do little to no maintenance to it (aside from changing the blades, oil, filters, etc) since I only run it maybe 6 or 8 times/year for about 30 minutes each time.

However, this year when I started it up for the season, it began to shoot out white smoke, a lot of white smoke and more so when I activated the clutch for blades. I know white smoke could be a sign of too much oil, but I checked the dipstick and it looked fine although it was smoking when I opened the cap. I emptied it and changed the oil and filters. Still white smoke. So I replaced the head gasket, thinking it was bad. Took it apart and it looked fine. Replaced it anyway. After putting everything back together, now my mower clicks and won't turn over. Before I switched out the head gasket, it started up just fine. I put in a new spark plug, still clicks. I'm wondering if it is just a bad battery. It is 8 years old.

Before spending the $40 on a new one or buying a $20 multimeter to check the voltage, was wondering if anyone could provide any insight on perhaps something I did wrong or am over looking. Could it be something I did wrong when switching out the head gasket?

Thank you so much.
ken10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 174

Re: please help! problem with my craftsman yt3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken10 View Post
hello everyone! this is my first post. I'm hoping someone could provide a little help with a very frustrating problem I've ran into on my craftsman yt3000. I've had it for about 8 years now and have needed to do little to no maintenance to it (aside from changing the blades, oil, filters, etc) since I only run it maybe 6 or 8 times/year for about 30 minutes each time.

However, this year when I started it up for the season, it began to shoot out white smoke, a lot of white smoke and more so when I activated the clutch for blades. I know white smoke could be a sign of too much oil, but I checked the dipstick and it looked fine although it was smoking when I opened the cap. I emptied it and changed the oil and filters. Still white smoke. So I replaced the head gasket, thinking it was bad. Took it apart and it looked fine. Replaced it anyway. After putting everything back together, now my mower clicks and won't turn over. Before I switched out the head gasket, it started up just fine. I put in a new spark plug, still clicks. I'm wondering if it is just a bad battery. It is 8 years old.

Before spending the $40 on a new one or buying a $20 multimeter to check the voltage, was wondering if anyone could provide any insight on perhaps something I did wrong or am over looking. Could it be something I did wrong when switching out the head gasket?

Thank you so much.
8 years is a loooooong time for a mower battery. Have you tried jump starting? or charging the battery?
lenaitch likes this.
Advertisement