Old Honda HRZ Mower, Over/under Revving - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Old Honda HRZ mower, over/under revving

Hello,

I have an old Honda HRZ mower that I've recently replaced the carburetor, and throttle control cable on.

I'm having running problems that have a distinct pattern , after installed the new carb. On cold start, the mower starts up and runs OK, but with a high RPM that's difficult to tame down. The self-propel will also work for a short time.

Then, just after the engine warms up, it's starts revving up and down and sounds like it will die, which it sometimes does, but mostly it will just keep running like that. The self-propel won't work hardly at all at this point, which makes mowing exhausting.

I'm thinking this may have something to do with the governor, but not sure how to check/adjust. I've played around with that spring on it before, but the governor lever doesn't appear to have much range of movement. I noticed with the spring from carb to governor disconnected, the mower runs about the same?

Thanks for any ideas on this.
berniemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Re: Old Honda HRZ mower, over/under revving

After reading some other posts, I think I should mention that I adjusted the throttle stop spring on the new carb to get it running at a high enough RPM when I installed the new carb. I've read this can cause problems with the governor. I think I might try to adjust it back down, but then the engine may not run at all, or not at near high enough RPM.
berniemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: Old Honda HRZ mower, over/under revving

Ayuh,..... It sounds like yer carb rebuild, failed,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement