Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Professional DIYer ;)

Rewards Points: 10

Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue

Hey all, I'm hoping one of you uber-knowledgeable folks can help me here. I'm fairly experienced with small engines, and I'm having a hell of a time getting the governor off of my carb on my B&S 404707 engine (it's a on Simplicity 6215.5 1986 tractor which I "bought" with the house we bought last year).

I'm pretty sure I've removed all the necessary bolts, and based on what I've seen in other parts of the engine, I know the previous owner didn't do much maintenance other than oil, plugs, gas. The blades on the mower attachment were so dull that I could swing one of them and hit someone with the "sharp" end and it would bruise you before it cut you. Haha.

Point is, the carb is filthy and I'm pretty sure it has never been cleaned or rebuilt. I think the governor is actually fused to the bottom part of the carb via years of overheating. Is this possible? I've attached images to make sure i'm not missing a bolt or pin or something.

Please help. Never had an issue like the before on any small engine I've worked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue-20180612_094717.jpg   Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue-20180612_094730.jpg   Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue-20180612_094747.jpg  
Johnny Don't! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,122

Re: Old Briggs & Stratton Carburetor Issue

No mechanic here, but the first thing I ask myself before tearing anything apart is, will I be able to get parts ? I just found the carb on line and most of the governor parts are obsolete for it. So tread lightly with the demo job.

What was the engine running like before you started taking the carb off ? Those old carbs are built like a brick out house.

Maybe just running some Sea Foam in the gas and tweaking of the jet screws, may have straightened it right up. Now you may never know, since you have started removing carb parts.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 12

I'm certainly no small engine mechanic but I'm not getting what you are trying to remove. The governor is normally part of the engine itself and linked to the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Professional DIYer ;)

So this thing IS totally fused together (when I say "governor" I mean the top half of the carburetor, as it's two pieces, the top half held on by four bolts)...I cut my whole lawn with all four bolts still removed! Called Briggs & Stratton and they said based on the lack of maintenance and the age of the engine, it's very plausible that the two parts fused together...and they clearly did.

Also, just FYI, Amazon carries a full stock of Briggs & Stratton parts for nearly any engine they've made; I've nearly rebuilt mine in entirely via parts from Amazon. Just ordered a whole new carburetor as well. $140 but better than spending $1500 on a new tractor.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,122

Just be aware when ordering automotive/mower/engine/parts from Amazon, they will be aftermarket parts from China or somewhere, NOT OEM unless specified as such. So do not expect top qualify, best fitting parts. I have read decent reviews though, of their aftermarket 4 cycle/two cycle small engine carbs. And have had decent luck with their accessories for lawn care machines.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Professional DIYer ;)

Hey thanks for the info; I make sure that I'm buying from Briggs & Stratton on Amazon, which you can do by checking who the seller is when you purchase. That way I'm guaranteed OEM parts. Sure, there have been a few times I couldn't buy OEM parts but they were for things like the fuel cap/gauge and spark plug boots and such. So not really a big deal there.

But I agree: Chinese parts are problematic in many cases, but especially where steel is involved; they cut too many corners during production to maximize profits (especially where heat-tempering/cooling is involved, because it is very energy-intensive and energy is currently very expensive in China). And their tolerances are less than impressive, most of the time. I don't mind using Chinese parts when I'm building electronics, but there are only about five manufacturers I like to buy from.

Thanks again for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement