Need Some Help Choosing The Right Equipment - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Need some help choosing the right equipment

Hi all, my wife and I have recently purchased a new house on a 5 acre land and we need to find a way to get rid of tall weeds (waist height or more). Problem is, the whole 5 acre has a slight slope (roughtly 8-15%) to it, and some parts (less than an acre) are steep (about 30%) all the way to the ones that you will even have a hard time to walk up.

I have done a bit of reading, but the more I read the more I don't know what to do. So my question is, what would be the most sensible choice for me? A riding lawn mower, a small tractor with mowing attachment, or a ATV/UTV with mowing attachment? The reason being, and please correct me if I am wrong: a riding lawn mower might get burned up or "overused" quickly if I do large area with slopes, and also it probably not advisable to climb the places with 30% slopes, last but not least, it can only mow, so later on if I want to grade a small piece of area or even move some dirt, I can't attach anything to it,but then the good thing is, lowest cost of all. A small tractor can do all that, with expandabilities, but with a higher cost, also need bigger area to store them. And my last option of ATV/UTV is because I can ride that as a toy, higher cost upfront, but then it adds in the fun factor.

Oh and I would prefer not using animals, at least not yet, I don't want to get rid of the weeds and end up need to deal with poop all over the place. I don't really have a budget yet, but the lower the cost the better since we still have a lot of places to spend money with a new house and all, but I do understand if I want to get the job done right, I just gotta spend the money. So with all that said, what would you suggest? Thank you.
ddmnkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 107

Forget the lawn tractor. Ain't going to happen. You really need a large commercial tractor, loader etc with a side arm mower or a farm tractor with a hay mower. What are going to do with this land? I would clear a small amount around the house build a lawn and keep the rest in a natural state. Once you cut this you are beholden to it. I have better things to with my time than cut 5 aces of grass. In fact my 1/2 acre occupies way too much of time
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

Oh definitely not going be all lawn, we have a small patch (about 25'x40'?) of lawn behind the house right now and I am thinking to extent that a bit and make it into a a small playground for my toddler, maybe add a small vinyard later on, but the rest will be left as is. Still, every now and then I will have these tall weeds that will grow out of nowhere, so I still need to have some kind of removal device to take care of them at least once or twice a year as defensible space. I can always just pay someone with a tractor over to take care of that, but it will add up pretty quickly so mind as well get a machine for myself as a long term solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Around here I can get anything I want bush hogged for $35.00 an hour, 2 hour minimum.
Far cheaper then buying a tractor and maintaining it.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,386

5 years ago I purchased a subcompact tractor, and absolutely would recommend to anyone who has property and needs to work it. I also have the following attachments. Front loader, back-hoe, 60" mid-mount mower, rear plow blade, post hole digger, and a rear rake. The tasks that it has helped me with are too numerous to list but to name a few. Grass mowing, snow plowing, post holes for fencing, landscaping, excavating and trenching for utilities, constantly moving trailers around the property because its easier than hooking them up to a vehicle. Assisting with tree cutting and clean up and the biggie just plain being able to pick up something heavy and move it. When I purchased the dealer was offering 5 yr 0% financing which made the decision to purchase easier.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,466

Check with your county extension service. Some are real willing to work with young land owners on a project such as yours and to give a few pointers. The main thing with that slope will be erosion prevention and they will possibly have some low maintenance suggestions to compliment that such as types of trees and grasses that will work together.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,038

Welcome to being a land baron. I would definitely recommend a mid-20hp 4wd tractor (not sure if that qualifies as 'subcompact') and implements as need/money comes by. You will find no end of uses for a front loader, and the big advantage over a lawn tractor (way too light anyway) or ATV are a hydraulic system, PTOs and a 3-point hitch. A mower deck gives a better cut but if the weeds are course or woody or there are saplings, you will need to brush hog the first cut. As you keep on it the grasses will take over. Or you could disc it under and re-seed. Don't discount poop from grazing animals - it's great fertilizer and you can spread it around with a simply drag harrow.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmnkf View Post
I do understand if I want to get the job done right, I just gotta spend the money. So with all that said, what would you suggest? Thank you.
All the things you need/want will put you into the category of a compact utility tractor, with attachments such as a loader, blower, tiller, mower, etc. A lot of manufacturers make good ones - John Deere, Kubota, etc. But if you go new, you could easily wrap upwards of $40k into it.

One option you might want to consider, for just mowing, is a pull-behind mower. For big jobs I used to pull one of these - offset - behind my John Deere with a 4' deck. I was cutting a full 9' with each pass. It was a great investment.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #9

Sorry, things keep coming up to do and haven't have time to reply at all, but thank you all for the great replies/ideas. I will be doing more research but I am leaning towards a used small tractor with a mower behind, especially I am almost certain I will using it to do other things around the property, so mind as well get a used one to start somewhere. Since paying someone to do it is definitely not $35 /hr around here, not even close, but I do like to explore the idea of going to county extension services or some kind of city commerce and see what they offer first.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmnkf View Post
Sorry, things keep coming up to do and haven't have time to reply at all, but thank you all for the great replies/ideas. I will be doing more research but I am leaning towards a used small tractor with a mower behind, especially I am almost certain I will using it to do other things around the property, so mind as well get a used one to start somewhere. Since paying someone to do it is definitely not $35 /hr around here, not even close, but I do like to explore the idea of going to county extension services or some kind of city commerce and see what they offer first.
also if you get the tractor to start, you can rent implements at a reasonable cost, and purchase them as time and $ allows
Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
John

Rewards Points: 206

No matter what equipment you use,the steep slopes are going to be hard,if not downright dangerous,to cut!
Equipment will tend to roll over easily,or zip down the slope,uncontrollably.
I would suggest leaving large slopes wild for erosion control.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 580

No clue what budget you have, but a Kubota F-Series 4x4 mower would be the best choice IMO. Here is a video of John Thomas on his F
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT0...O6GVM2xsU_V19g
he hangs out on this forum
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ide-video.html
78Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement