Mower Not Starting After Gas Cap Mishap - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Mower Not Starting After Gas Cap Mishap

Toro Self-Propel 20017, 14 years old. Worked fine all these years. No previous sign of trouble, but today, when starting, ran stuttering for a few seconds and stalled on 3 attempts. Checked gas tank, oil, spark plug connect, filter, etc. all ok. So I tilted to each side to examine blade, exterior, etc. Then pumped gas out of tank and saw part of the gas cap on the bottom of tank, It seems some parts of the inner gas cap (diaphragm?) came off (rubber & metal tiny funnel-like rings, and small sponge.) I removed them from the gas tank thinking I found the problem, then refilled with gas, primed & pulled the recoil starter but then it wouldn't even turn over this time. Can I operate without the gas cap diaphragm? Did I flood the engine by tilting with gas in the tank? Could a bad spark plug cause these symptoms? Any other possible issues / fixes? Thanks in advance.
Steveromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 218

It sounds like your going to have to get take the carburetor apart and clean it out . You will need an overhaul kit .This may solve your problem.
daveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveblt For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-23-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 52

UPDATE: So I have learned that the "diaphragm" inside the gas cap IS important. It allows air into the tank. Didn't know that! I loosened the cap one-half turn and it started right up. I need to get a replacement cap but all is fine!
Steveromo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveromo For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (06-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement