Maybe I Am Just Getting Old - Tractors & Mowers - Page 4 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #46
Low Slope Roofing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,451
Rewards Points: 114
Default


Is it possible that the tank/lines are the problem and not the fuel? I know some older cars have issues with driveablity on ethanol, but contaminates could be from a lot of sources. I'd be interested to see if you have been running on non ethanol fuel for awhile to look at the fuel filters if they are better/same or worse.

If I had a fuel filter on my truck that was serviceable besides replacing the fuel pump I'd check it this weekend when I'm doing the brakes.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #47
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,367
Rewards Points: 1,414
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
Is it possible that the tank/lines are the problem and not the fuel? I know some older cars have issues with driveablity on ethanol, but contaminates could be from a lot of sources. I'd be interested to see if you have been running on non ethanol fuel for awhile to look at the fuel filters if they are better/same or worse.

If I had a fuel filter on my truck that was serviceable besides replacing the fuel pump I'd check it this weekend when I'm doing the brakes.
I've heard of the alcohol in ethanol "cleaning out" some of the crud built up in older gas tanks. If that is true, I wonder if there is a point at which all the crud is out and lodged in the filter - then you're done with the problem.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #48
Low Slope Roofing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,451
Rewards Points: 114
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I've heard of the alcohol in ethanol "cleaning out" some of the crud built up in older gas tanks. If that is true, I wonder if there is a point at which all the crud is out and lodged in the filter - then you're done with the problem.
I've heard that also, I could see that being a problem. I don't know if the crud will ever stop though with the moisture in any fuel the tanks/line would continue to rust.

I use to have an old 70's dirt bike with a metal tank, it was way rusted on the inside (sat empty for years and years). Once we had it running it would plug up fuel filters in what seemed like 10 minutes of riding it. We took it off and filled it with a few oz of gas and some pea gravel and shook it around for a long time, dumped it and rinsed it out a few times. It still did the same thing only it didn't plug the filters as quickly. We ended up having it sealed.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #49
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,367
Rewards Points: 1,414
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
I've heard that also, I could see that being a problem. I don't know if the crud will ever stop though with the moisture in any fuel the tanks/line would continue to rust.

I use to have an old 70's dirt bike with a metal tank, it was way rusted on the inside (sat empty for years and years). Once we had it running it would plug up fuel filters in what seemed like 10 minutes of riding it. We took it off and filled it with a few oz of gas and some pea gravel and shook it around for a long time, dumped it and rinsed it out a few times. It still did the same thing only it didn't plug the filters as quickly. We ended up having it sealed.
The answer to that is giant fuel filters!

I'm kind of a Volvo junkie. On most of the FWD models, the fuel filter is located right in front of the rear passenger tire. The filter is about 8-1/2" long, and over 4" in diameter. It takes a lot of crud to plug up one of those fellas!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,422
Rewards Points: 6,767
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I am happy for you guys who don't have a problem with ethanol, I wish I didn't, the higher cost of the nonethanol is the pits.

Here we don't really have a choice. The non is only sold at selected boat docks. Been that way for 20 years.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #51
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 12,488
Rewards Points: 1,302
Blog Entries: 1
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Here we don't really have a choice. The non is only sold at selected boat docks. Been that way for 20 years.
I really do hate that for you guys who can only get the ethanol gas, we have several stations around town who sell straight gas. The down side is it does cost more. Example of difference in cost right now, ethanol regular is $2.34, non ethanol is $2.92. It does hurt to have to pay the extra but we do get a little better gas mileage with the non ethanol.

I think the reason we have several stations around town is the Tennessee River runs right through town and a lot of fishermen here who will only put the non in their boats. I sure won't run the ethanol in our boat, lawn mower or anything else, I just don't want to take the chance after hearing so much about it.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-02-2015 at 08:43 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #52
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,460
Rewards Points: 696
Default


I live right next door to a non-ethanol station. Only thing I'll run in a small engine.
__________________
I hate signatures.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 72
Default


Just skimmed through the past 4 pages of responses - lots of good information, but most of it is technically beyond me.

What struck me though were the comments about Chinese products. Back in the 70's I took a course (either in political science or economics) that addressed international competition and warfare. The author's theory was that in industrialized nations, competition would trend toward economic rather than direct military conflict.

So now take a look at China and India, and think of what's been caused by Chinese products. This thread addresses only mechanical issues. Nor does it address the ingredients for medicine which come from these countries. The Environmental Working Group addresses the toxins in their products, including those used with children.

China's gone from a backwater country to a very competitive, underhanded, irresponsible "manufacturer" or "assembler", as well as also arming it self militarily. I keep asking myself when the people in Washington are going to figure this out and start imposing tariffs on the junk and toxic waste from China, and break its competitive power, or at least protect us from emerald ash borers, diseases, lead in kitchenware, defective merchandise....and the list goes on.

Last edited by NorthernWinds; 05-02-2015 at 12:12 PM.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #54
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 97
Rewards Points: 194
Default


Kentucky currently has 66 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline, only a few are marinas. See http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=KY
billtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,422
Rewards Points: 6,767
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech View Post
Kentucky currently has 66 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline, only a few are marinas. See http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=KY

That makes 1 place in this large, metro county (FAYETTE) and quite a drive from home.

I did not know it was there.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts