Lawnmower Is Still Dead - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree18Likes

Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Lawnmower is still dead

Hello everyone,

I have a push lawnmower that is still dead after replacing the air filter, carb, spark plug and ignition coil.

I forgot to drain the gas over the winter so I hooked up my vac and sucked it all out. Put fresh gas in and everything went smooth. I was cutting the grass for about 30 minutes when the wife let me know it was supper. When done eating I went out to finish the job and the lawnmower was dead. I thought the carb may be plugged and found a new one on sale for $10 more than the kit so I went new and added a new air filter too. Still nothing. I tested the spark plug and no spark. Simple. Throw in a new one. Didn't help. I get spark from the plug.

Talked the local repair shop and they said the only thing left was the ignition coil so I put a new one in. It still wont turn over but on the first couple of pulls it does shoot a little white smoke out the muffler.

I did NOT hit a rock when it was working so I'm assuming that it can't be the flywheel. It started good and turned off good and then hasn't started since.

I tried pouring a little gas directly into the carb, but still no start. I can't afford a new lawnmower so I need to fix this one and the lawn is starting to look really bad now.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any help anyone could give.

My understanding of an engine is not impressive in any way but I would think all those new parts should have done more than give the occasional puff of white smoke.

No sure if it matters, but here are the specs.

It is a Canadiana
Model Number: cespv22675fc
with a Briggs and Stratton 126M02-0675-F3

Lawnmower was purchased at Lowes about 5 years ago.

Also, I can smell gas when pulling the rope. Not sure if that is good or not.

Thank you
livnezsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 56

Re: Lawnmower is still dead

I have a generator that will not start if it is low on oil.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

I thought of that too. While it is not at the top, it is not below the min level either. Does it need to be at the max level mark? If so, why did it start right before supper and not after? I can't see that the oil level could have dropped all that much in the time it took to eat. If you think this is likely, then I will go get some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnezsoon View Post
I thought of that too. While it is not at the top, it is not below the min level either. Does it need to be at the max level mark? If so, why did it start right before supper and not after? I can't see that the oil level could have dropped all that much in the time it took to eat. If you think this is likely, then I will go get some.
No I don't know that they have that on lawnmowers. Have you checked the bolts on the carb as you have had it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

The bolts seemed fine. The carb was a little loose. Don't know why. I guess the service tech I used two years ago didn't tighten it well. I made sure it was nice and tight. Even if it was the carb, wouldn't it be willing to start after pouring gas directly and bypassing the carb? I am still rather new at this so please let me know if I am wrong. Everything I have learned about small engines comes from YouTube.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,238

Does it have a primer bulb or automatic choke ?

Automatic choke can stick. (and that is besides the fact that after leaving it for 10 minutes, choke is cold but engine is warm --- but half hour is about the time when it should have started up again)
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnezsoon View Post
The bolts seemed fine. The carb was a little loose. Don't know why. I guess the service tech I used two years ago didn't tighten it well. I made sure it was nice and tight. Even if it was the carb, wouldn't it be willing to start after pouring gas directly and bypassing the carb? I am still rather new at this so please let me know if I am wrong. Everything I have learned about small engines comes from YouTube.
You changed the carb and ran a little, just check them again, a leak there will change the mix either to rich or lean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,222

You can check for blue spark at the plug, compression and timing all in one shot, so to speak, if the wife will assist just for a few seconds.

Being you believe you be a little light in the internal combustion engine department I'd appreciate being excused if I seem like I be talking to a second grader.
1) remove the spark plug and ground the threaded portion on the engine head
2) hold your thumb firmly on the spark plug hole
3) with the kill switch inactive (if applicable) ( or disconnect the ignition ground wire on the side of the engine ).

Now the wife pulls the rope while you are complying with 1) and 2)

If the engine has enough compression to start you'll not easily be able to keep your thumb on the spark plug hole. If there is a spark at the plug electrode it should be blue and we prefer snappy.

Now for the 3rd item, timing. If timing is correct enough to start you will see spark at the exact moment your thumb is blown from the spark plug hole.

Free advice - after the cylinder is purged of toooo much raw gas by pouring, with the spark plug out and you'd like to prime it with gas directly into the carburetor throat, put about half an eye dropper in rather than pouring.

This certainly isn't always the answer but it gives good information.
Note: low compression can often be detected when the rope is pulled and sometimes timing out of specification also.
lenaitch and Nealtw like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
You can check for blue spark at the plug, compression and timing all in one shot, so to speak, if the wife will assist just for a few seconds.

Being you believe you be a little light in the internal combustion engine department I'd appreciate being excused if I seem like I be talking to a second grader.
1) remove the spark plug and ground the threaded portion on the engine head
2) hold your thumb firmly on the spark plug hole
3) with the kill switch inactive (if applicable) ( or disconnect the ignition ground wire on the side of the engine ).

Now the wife pulls the rope while you are complying with 1) and 2)

If the engine has enough compression to start you'll not easily be able to keep your thumb on the spark plug hole. If there is a spark at the plug electrode it should be blue and we prefer snappy.

Now for the 3rd item, timing. If timing is correct enough to start you will see spark at the exact moment your thumb is blown from the spark plug hole.

Free advice - after the cylinder is purged of toooo much raw gas by pouring, with the spark plug out and you'd like to prime it with gas directly into the carburetor throat, put about half an eye dropper in rather than pouring.

This certainly isn't always the answer but it gives good information.
Note: low compression can often be detected when the rope is pulled and sometimes timing out of specification also.

Spark was blue.
Spark and pressure seemed to line up

How much pressure should it give? I could feel the pressure and my thumb smells of gas, but I would not say that it was difficult to hold my thumb there. Maybe I didn't have a good seal with my thumb. I tried twice but had no problem keeping my thumb there.

What does that mean?
Please say an easy, or even better, a cheap fix.

Thank you.

I didn't know I could check all three at the same time like that before. I have learned something new.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,122

Stop pouring gas in the carb. Buy a can of starter fluid in an aerosol can. Pull the sparkplug and be sure it is dry. Pull the starter rope with the plug out about 6 times to help dry out the cylinder. Install the plug.

Be sure the air filter is not wet with gas. Put air filter back in and shoot a shot of starter fluid on the air filter. Be sure ignition switch, safety dead man safety handles are engaged and pull the rope . If it does start or at least try to fire in 3 good pulls of the rope, you have bigger problems than fuel or carb. JMO
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
I tried twice but had no problem keeping my thumb there.
The cylinder is gas washed. That's why there is no compression. Squirt a few drops of oil or transmission fluid in the cylinder & pull the rope a few times. That will restore the compression. Clean the spark plug or better yet replace it. If there is a dip stick for the oil, smell the oil. If it smells like gas, change the oil. BTW, some lawn movers won't start if the bag isn't on it.
Dave Sal and Mike Milam like this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
livnezsoon (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #12

Thank you for the suggestion.....and the cylinder is....

I think SeniorSitizen had it right about talking like I'm a second grader.

Take the spark plug out and put a couple drops of oil in the hole that I was plugging with my thumb?

I will go smell the oil, but I was planning on draining it and replacing with new oil anyway. I put in OHV oil last year even though I do not believe my engine is one. Canadian Tire told me to always use the OHV one as it is somehow better. I was thinking about going with regular oil this time. The spark plug is new. Actually I have two new ones as I was hoping the first new one was defective. It wasn't.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,222

When the thumb can be held there on the plug hole and if the engine has a aluminum cover in close proximity to the spark plug, with probably 4 cap screws holding it on, it's time to pull that aluminum cover to determine which of the 2 push rods bent, broke or jumped out of its intended location.

Usually not an expensive repair.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,122

Getting the OP way too spooked here guys . Read his OP...

""""I forgot to drain the gas over the winter so I hooked up my vac and sucked it all out. Put fresh gas in and everything went smooth. I was cutting the grass for about 30 minutes when the wife let me know it was supper. When done eating I went out to finish the job and the lawnmower was dead. I thought the carb may be plugged and found a new one on sale for $10 more than the kit so I went new and added a new air filter too. Still nothing. I tested the spark plug and no spark. Simple. Throw in a new one. Didn't help. I get spark from the plug. """

Really now, just what are the chances he blew a cylinder, popped a ring, broke a piston arm etc... while he was eating lunch ?
Dave Sal, Mike Milam and Nealtw like this.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
The cylinder is gas washed. That's why there is no compression. Squirt a few drops of oil or transmission fluid in the cylinder & pull the rope a few times. That will restore the compression. Clean the spark plug or better yet replace it. If there is a dip stick for the oil, smell the oil. If it smells like gas, change the oil. BTW, some lawn movers won't start if the bag isn't on it.
Feeling like an idiot here, but just to clarify, put a little oil in the spark plug hole right? Not sure if there are other locations to add oil to the cylinder and do not wish to make things worse by assuming I am understanding.

I have a children's Advil measuring cup. Add 5 ml of oil and pour it down the spark plug hole right?

This is all new territory for me. Carb, air filters and spark plugs no problem. Anything else is totally new.

Thank for the suggestion. When it stops raining here I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lawnmower