Lawn Trimmer Brand Advice - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 752

Lawn Trimmer Brand Advice

I am in the market for a new lawn trimmer. I have done the Ryobi, weedeater, Troybilt brands with little longterm success. What brands so you suggest for the average homeowner? I am considering the Stihl brand. Thoughts? I have had a brand previously that allows the quick change to add a blower attachment, which I like. I don't believe that the Stihl brand has this capability does it?
What does everyone think?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Stihl gets good reviews and this may be something to consider when shopping no matter what brand.

I have 2 Echo trimmers. One I purchased and one my son left here. One is straight shaft and one is curved shaft. The two trimmer heads run in opposite directions. The straight shaft runs CCW while the curved runs CW. Being I use them off my right side the CCW straight shaft covers me with trimmings like you can't believe while the CW curved doesn't.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,274

Ayuh,.... The Biggest Killer of weedwackers, 'n other gas powered tools is, Bad Gas,....

Throw in ethanol, 'n the odds go up exponentially,...

'bout All the manufacturers now build the swappable head units,...

In my experience, pick a powerhead bigger than 30ccs for some Power,....

I've got a 28cc unit that can barely spin bare string, 'n a 32cc unit that'll cut down a forrest, without loosin' power,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

I use nothing but Stihl, chainsaw, trimmer, pole saw.
My trimmer does at least 6 yards a week and starts every time for the past 4 years.
Yes the heads can be changed out to different tools.
Never understood the complaints about head rotation direction, start your cut from the other direction or stand on the other side of the trimmer works for me.
Only dealers can sell new Stihls which is a good thing, I know where I can get parts or get it fixed.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,414

Brand doesn't matter much, unless you're into the premier trimmers (Stihl is one of them). Regardless of whose name is on it, a $69 line trimmer is going to be a $69 line trimmer.

Oddly enough, all those years we did lawn-care, I had perfectly good luck with the cheap trimmers. My $69 Weedeater wasn't as nice as my $300 John Deere, but I could buy 4 for the price of 1 JD (which I didn't need to do).

As was stated previously, the main problem with gas line trimmers is the gas. But the problem is not ethanol. That claim has been exaggerated to the point where it is now hyperbole. The main problem is that 75% of owners don't mix the oil properly. Either too much or too little, or they use an inferior brand.

In short, buy a Stihl if you have the money. Pay very close attention to your oil mix. You'll love it.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 606

I have a Cub Cadet 4 cycle. I will never mix gas/oil again. And I use non-ethanol gas.

Last edited by rjniles; 04-26-2015 at 09:08 AM.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

i have a stihl straight shaft. works great. though the string head took a little while to learn to use = i was a FNG.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I use nothing but Stihl, chainsaw, trimmer, pole saw.
My trimmer does at least 6 yards a week and starts every time for the past 4 years.
Yes the heads can be changed out to different tools.
Never understood the complaints about head rotation direction, start your cut from the other direction or stand on the other side of the trimmer works for me.
Only dealers can sell new Stihls which is a good thing, I know where I can get parts or get it fixed.

You say that you use nothing but Stihl and the heads on them can be changed out for use with different tools?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,890

Why not go on the Stihl website and check it out or go to a local dealer and have them show you?
I have a pole saw and a hedge trimmer attachment I can use on my trimmer.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why not go on the Stihl website and check it out or go to a local dealer and have them show you?
I have a pole saw and a hedge trimmer attachment I can use on my trimmer.
Ayuh,.... I've been collectin' the attachments, since I bought my 1st swappable head trimmer,...

Got the pole saw, 2 hedge trimmer attachments, with extensions, a couple straight shaft string heads, 'n a bend shaft string head,...

I put the 2 shaft extensions together, 'n the pole saw on that, I get an extra 4' reach,....

The hedge trimmers are the basis for my own design underwater weedwacker,...
Bondo Model 1 worked good clamped to the transom of my little tugboat, but only cut 2' wide,....
Pullin' the oars on the tugboat, it ain't easy to control yer cuts like walkin' 'round on the lawn,...
Hopin' to motorize the swing, 'n get a 4' swath cut this summer,...

Btw,.... the less than 30cc power heads work great on the underwater weedwacker, as it don't over-rev like the over 30cc units,....

Last edited by Bondo; 04-27-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
John

Rewards Points: 206

Underwater weed trimmer?!!!?
Bondo,....have you been leaving the garage doors closed,while runnig the car ?? LOL!
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 64

I've had good luck with Echo and also Husqvarna. I have an echo hedge trimmer that's about 12 or 13 yrs old now and it still starts on the second or third pull every time. The only time I've ever worked on it was to replace a fuel line and primer bulb; it has never been in the shop, and I trim a lot of shrubs with it every year (the common areas in our subd, hedges at duplex apts I own, and my own place). I have a Husqvarna weed trimmer (actually have two now, bought a second one about a year ago for the lake house I have) that's about four years old now and I've never done anything but put string on it. It starts on the second or third pull every time too! I'm not good about running my gas out of the lines at the end of each season and I don't necessarily hunt for ethanol free gas either. BUT, I NEVER leave my tools out in the rain. My tools are always stored in a semi-climate controlled area (insulated barn/shop area) so this may have some bearing on the performance I've experienced with the tools I have.
SkilledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement