Lawn Tractor Filter Change - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,588

Lawn Tractor Filter Change

I wouldn't even try to guess how many late night hours the designers of this tractor and engine spent attempting to save a couple of bucks in the manufacture process.

I will say without a doubt though, if in the design there was even a hint of attempting to make oil run everywhere it isn't needed or wanted when changing the oil filter mounted horizontally they should get an A+ and a promotion.

I'm surely not as well paid or as smart but it took SS about a minute to solve this problem.

Make a red neck funnel. I used AL foil. Drill a hole in the filter penetrating both sections. Rotate filter CCW about 180 and drain into a catch basin of your choice.

I guess I may be losing my touch though because I did find 2 drops of oil on a cardboard I placed on the garage floor under that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn Tractor Filter Change-jd-filter-hole-drilled-9-25-15.jpg   Lawn Tractor Filter Change-jd-filter-draining-9-25-15.jpg  
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,.... I do alota Boat work, 'n with changin' oil filters it's Easy not to spill oil into the bilge,....

What I do is crack the filter loose, slip a qt. freezer baggie 'round it, spin it off, 'n drop it into the baggie, seal it up, 'n toss it,.....

A rag layin' under it is enough to catch any drops that miss the baggie,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,588

It would be nice if a baggie would work on this one but the designers burned enough midnight oil to prevent that happening.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,914

Simple fix.
Make the engineers that come up with this crap try to do simple reguler maintaince items before getting paid.
Got the same issue with my 2003 F150.
Can only turn the filter about a 1/10 and when it come loose the oil runs down the A frame in two directions, and it takes 1/2 hour of twisting and turning to get the filter out.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

2 drops of oil on the floor?!?! What a slob! ;-)
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Simple fix.
Make the engineers that come up with this crap try to do simple reguler maintaince items before getting paid.
Got the same issue with my 2003 F150.
Can only turn the filter about a 1/10 and when it come loose the oil runs down the A frame in two directions, and it takes 1/2 hour of twisting and turning to get the filter out.
Does yours have the stupid plastic funnel directly under the oil filter that's meant to keep oil off of the starter, but actually pours it all over the starter and everything else?
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,914

Just changed the oil and filter for a customer on a cheap, Murray Z turn.
Oil drain has a plastic cap that you push in and turn 1/4 turn to open the drain, it's stuck and will not turn, but the whole drain assembly did, BY HAND. Not a good thing.
It's so hidden and close to the frame it's impossible to get a tool in there.
The hole in the frame for the oil to drain through was right over the PTO clutch and belts.
The drain hole for the oil in the filter is 6" behind it.
I saw all this coming so I took it out to the edge of a field so I did not mess up his lawn.
Advertisement