Lawn Mower Recommendation - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 208

Lawn Mower Recommendation

I'm looking for a self-propelled, gas, push mower.

What would you recommend?
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...wers/index.htm
I also will strongly suggest a rear wheel drive.
The new 4 wheel drives look good on paper but just not worth the money.
JD367 (05-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 208

joecaption,

what do you think of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-...keyword=404997
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

Looks good and the price is right.
Only issue I see is buying it from A box store.
Reason being is trying to get it fixed if there's an issue.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
registered

Rewards Points: 534

Here is what I have. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-160cc...1&blockType=G1

One speed self propelled. Not to fast not to slow. I use bagger in fall for leaves. I just mulch when mow. NO bagger. Also home depot sells a tune kit for it. 15.99 oil plug and air filter. You need to search for Honda gcv tune-up kit on home depot website. Finally sat in tool shed all winter long. Drained oil installed new tune-up kit. One pull it fired up. I was shocked. I figured two or 3.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 580

No clue what budget you have, but a Kubota F-Series 4x4 mower would be the best choice IMO. Here is a video of John Thomas on his F
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT0...O6GVM2xsU_V19g
he hangs out on this forum
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ide-video.html

EDIT: Wrong thread, Sorry.
78Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 338

What is your budget. That will determine mower recommendations. Eg. Toro is good but the big box stores only sell the recycler. you have to go to a dealer to get the super recycler. All depends on needs and budget.
I was on a commercial landscape site, and they recommended the toro super recycler with the Honda engine. Its about $599, but has a five year warranty.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
What is your budget. That will determine mower recommendations. Eg. Toro is good but the big box stores only sell the recycler. you have to go to a dealer to get the super recycler. All depends on needs and budget.
I was on a commercial landscape site, and they recommended the toro super recycler with the Honda engine. Its about $599, but has a five year warranty.
THIS.

My daughter & son-in-law just bought a LawnBoy at Home Depot. Self-propelled, with bagger. Little Kohler engine on it. They paid $279, and they absolutely love it.

They have a small lawn with a rather steep incline down to the front sidewalk. In their cases, this is about the ideal mower.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,330

I recently purchased a name big brand (4 letter name) from the orange store. It had the Kohler engine on it. Since I have not bought a new mower since '91 I thought it would be nice to have something new. For me it was a big mistake. The new Kohler engine on the push mowers uses a choke system that is tied to the muffler. There is a bi metal spring that winds/unwinds as the muffler warms up. on paper it sounds good and when the engine is cold it works fine. Do not shut the engine off and expect to start is 10 min later though. The tin box muffler cools faster than the engine does and closes the choke tightly, not allowing the engine to re-start. I must have pulled it 50 times before I figured out I had to jamb a stick in the linkage to hold the choke open. Once I did that it fired on the second pull.

I returned it to the store and bought a Briggs engine mower and have had no trouble with it for the last 2 weeks.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
I recently purchased a name big brand (4 letter name) from the orange store. It had the Kohler engine on it. Since I have not bought a new mower since '91 I thought it would be nice to have something new. For me it was a big mistake. The new Kohler engine on the push mowers uses a choke system that is tied to the muffler. There is a bi metal spring that winds/unwinds as the muffler warms up. on paper it sounds good and when the engine is cold it works fine. Do not shut the engine off and expect to start is 10 min later though. The tin box muffler cools faster than the engine does and closes the choke tightly, not allowing the engine to re-start. I must have pulled it 50 times before I figured out I had to jamb a stick in the linkage to hold the choke open. Once I did that it fired on the second pull.

I returned it to the store and bought a Briggs engine mower and have had no trouble with it for the last 2 weeks.
You just reminded me of those " Good Old Days " when it was normal to go out and start the car on a winter morning so the windshield would be clearing with warm air while we were back in the house having coffee.

Time to depart and it looked as if Ole Bessie, with the automatic choke, ran for possibly a minute at most while leaving a big black spot on the snow below the tail pipe.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,508

I have a 13 year old Toro with a primer bulb and a lever to control the self-propelled (I think it just tightens a V-belt).

At my mother's I have an almost new Toro (more expensive) with an automatic choke and variable speed self propelled. If its going too fast, the control arm gets pulled more by your hands, and it slows down --- at least that's how its supposed to work.

Hate the automatic choke. Must be the same one as danpik. The primer bulb mower starts much easier.

Don't like the variable speed self propelled either. Its like a grabber clutch that is always trying to yank the mower from your hands. Old one better.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 14

I have a Lawn-Boy 21inch. The rear wheel drive works like a charm. I would definitely recommend rear wheel drive. Can't say anything bad about the lawn-boy and the price was a huge plus.
Marc7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 996

i have a 2 y/o toro with the auto choke. it has been working really well so far.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 107

Hard to tell. I would recommend my Toro but mine is 13 years old and purchased from a Toro dealer (cast iron sleeved engine, more horsepower and longer warranty than the big store model). But my Toro was built by Toro not MTD as they are now. I will likely buy a new Toro to replace this one when it dies but. I won't expect 15 years life out of the new one.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement