Lawn Mower Not Starting - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By clarenceboddick

Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68

Lawn Mower Not Starting

Last year I bought a new mower with a 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. I don't have a lawn but I use it for wild grass and weeds. Used it for about 6 hours and then left it in my shed all winter. I did treat the gas with ethanol treatment but I left the tank full. I went to start it the other day and it was no go. I removed the plug and cleaned it and then checked for spark and all was fine. I cleaned the air filter before I stored it so that was good. I drained the gas tank and then blew out the line the best I could but still no start. I then removed the plug and injected some gas into the cylinder and it started up on the first pull. I ran it for about 15 minutes and it ran and sounded great. I let it sit for 15 minutes to test it and it started up again. Next time I let it sit for 45 minutes and it still started. Then I let it sit overnight and it's back again to where it wont start. Im guessing if I put a few drops of gas into the cylinder it would fire up again. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks.
DoubleHumbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,592

Re: Lawn Mower Not Starting

Fairly typical of a small engine the government has laid their legislative hands on. If the choke function is working to the best of its ability then rather than pulling the plug each time I prefer removing the air filter and putting about a thimble of gasoline into the carburetor air intake. If mine starts that way I kick it and call it a cold natured ***** and go mow.
Bondo and Dave Sal like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
DoubleHumbucker (03-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Fairly typical of a small engine the government has laid their legislative hands on. If the choke function is working to the best of its ability then rather than pulling the plug each time I prefer removing the air filter and putting about a thimble of gasoline into the carburetor air intake. If mine starts that way I kick it and call it a cold natured ***** and go mow.
Thanks, I will give that a shot. When you say choke function, do you mean automatic choke because there is none on this mower that I can manipulate. I will surely try that tomorrow.

I have a Sears rototiller that is 22 years old and has not had much use, but some. That thing starts every time without fail and the same for my old 20 year old mower that I tossed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,200

Discard old gas. Use fresh gasoline, non-ethanol, 93 octane only.

Carb may be gummed up from sitting. Try some carb cleaner or use some sea foam motor treatment. Follow directions. See if that helps. This has helped me out a couple times.

You may have to disassemble the carb and clean it. You can google videos on how to do this, or as you stated, it's less than a year old, you could call the manufacturer and ask them for a authorize warantee service center. Should be covered. A small engine repair shop will have it up and running right in no time.

If it was a big box store, sometimes they will exchange it with a new one. Not sure in your location, but our local big box stores use to exchange them out if less than a year, no questions asked. Then changed policy to 90 days. But doesn't hurt to ask. They will look up the receipt for you if you didn't keep it.

Hope you get it running right soon.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,650

+1

Look for non ethanol stations. Ethanol is a disaster for small motors.

The above advice is spot on.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,054

All gas engines require 3 things to run: air, fuel and spark.

Usually the problem when something doesn't run is fuel or spark. Use starting fluid to test. If the engine runs for a moment with starting fluid, then the ignition system is probably OK. If it doesn't run with starting fluid, then most likely the ignition system is bad.
Dave Sal likes this.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #7

There is only one non ethanol gas station in my whole state according to a search I did. I did use a ethanol treatment. Driving 3 hours for a gas is a bit much so I used the treatment. It does run great once I put a small amount of fuel into the cylinder. When it gets cold again, that's when it wont start. It's almost time to mow again so I will see what happens with a fresh tank of gas and a few hours of use. I guess it could be possible it may clean itself out.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

I am happy to say that after a few hours of use it is now starting up cold just fine. I guess it probably cleaned itself out. Now I am having another issue and I may post about that if I can't figure it out. Since it's not related to this one I should probably start a new thread. Thanks for the help on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement