JD Mower Kohler CV12.5s-1215 Stuck Valve? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 706

JD mower Kohler CV12.5s-1215 stuck valve?

This is just a continuation...hopin ole Red Rooster is still checkin in from time to time. Seems to know about this model. Now that we have spark by replacing the relay, not the coil. (YOU WERE RIGHT!) we now seem to be getting back fire instead of starting up. Buddy thinks it's a stuck valve, said somethin about 4 bolts and Miracle Oil before his girlfriend said she had plans for him. I can take a hint...i guess. Hoping if it's something I can do, you'll tell me about it here. I can take bolts off, and spray Miracle Oil..right? Thanks!
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 388

Best to wait for your friend. Do you have fresh gas? Old gas will make small engines run rough if at all.
He is probably referring to "Marvel Mystery Oil".

I know you have access to Berryman B12 Carb and Injector cleaner. Get a can of pour in and add about 2 or 3 ounces per gallon of gas. Then get an aerosol can of Berryman B12 Carburetor and Choke cleaner and spray some into carb throat. Try starting it then. If it starts you might continue spraying in small squirts to keep engine running for a short time. This will help to clean old gas out and just might save a carb cleaning..
If this isn't successful, then remove, disassemble, and clean carb. Reinstall and see if mower runs any better.

Hopefully something will work.

RR
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rooster View Post
Best to wait for your friend. Do you have fresh gas? Old gas will make small engines run rough if at all.
He is probably referring to "Marvel Mystery Oil".

I know you have access to Berryman B12 Carb and Injector cleaner. Get a can of pour in and add about 2 or 3 ounces per gallon of gas. Then get an aerosol can of Berryman B12 Carburetor and Choke cleaner and spray some into carb throat. Try starting it then. If it starts you might continue spraying in small squirts to keep engine running for a short time. This will help to clean old gas out and just might save a carb cleaning..
If this isn't successful, then remove, disassemble, and clean carb. Reinstall and see if mower runs any better.

Hopefully something will work.

RR
I replied and it went poof! May be repeating myself, but I told him I thought it could be carburator or gas, and he said stuck valve, etc. Do you disagree? Do i dump the existing gas? Would gas make it backfire...Lots of questions here...sorry..good to hear from you!

Last edited by onjtrainee; 05-10-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 510

Depends upon if it backfires or just coughs. Backfire means flames coming out of the carburator throat. Usually sign of a hanging intake valve that is not closing completely or closing too slowly. Could be a bit gunked up from sitting and some Marvel Mystery Oil can help free it up. Coughing and sputtering (no flames) is often a sign of incorrect fuel mixture as Rough Rooster suggested. Would not hurt to clean the carb anyway if it hasn't been done recently.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
I replied and it went poof! May be repeating myself, but I told him I thought it could be carburator or gas, and he said stuck valve, etc. Do you disagree? Do i dump the existing gas? Would gas make it backfire...Lots of questions here...sorry..good to hear from you!
It could be a valve problem, but I like to check all the other possibilities before opening an engine. Old gas can cause lots of problems. So, YES, Dump the gas and put in fresh with the Berryman B12 additive as mentioned previously.
It will most likely help, and sure won't hurt.

Take pics of linkages BEFORE removing carb for cleaning.

Have fun,
RR
Old 05-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

It was just coughing..then it popped a couple times. I think my buddy said he saw a flame..

Does the Marvel Mystery Oil go in the gastank? I have some Seafoam from previous time with possible water issue. Worked great for that. I hope to avoid having to clean carburator just now, if there's something I can pour in the tank first. I have to get it running asap..can't find my miniature donkey!

Last edited by onjtrainee; 05-10-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

Don't usually put MMO in the fuel. SeaFoam can help, but is not as good as a true cleaning. If you are getting flames back through the carb, (take the air cleaner off to see), you can do some pretty severe damage to the carb.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
I have to get it running asap..can't find my miniature donkey!
Call him in and explain that he must start grazing the grass down so you can see him. (and find your mower)

RR
Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Don't usually put MMO in the fuel. SeaFoam can help, but is not as good as a true cleaning. If you are getting flames back through the carb, (take the air cleaner off to see), you can do some pretty severe damage to the carb.
Ok..I'll dump the gas and get some Berryman's to mix with the new fuel and pray alot. It was strange, when it was trying to catch it would go a few rounds, and then just whir, like winding out if that's the way to describe it. I've never heard that before.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #10

You get a sticking valve and you have no compression. If it turns over really easily, that's a good indication of sticky valves. Easy way to test is to take the spark plug out and press your thumb over the hole while you crank it. You should be able to feel the compression.
The Following User Says Thank You to chitownken For This Useful Post:
onjtrainee (05-10-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
You get a sticking valve and you have no compression. If it turns over really easily, that's a good indication of sticky valves. Easy way to test is to take the spark plug out and press your thumb over the hole while you crank it. You should be able to feel the compression.
Wouldn't the engine have fired when we sprayed starter fluid into the carburator if the valves were ok?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

Should have run for a bit if you sprayed starting fluid through the carburator.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Should have run for a bit if you sprayed starting fluid through the carburator.
So since it didn't, does that indicate stuck valves? I dumped the gas today, and put Berryman's in the new stuff...still didn't turn over. Haven't been able to check the spark plug hole for compression. Takes two people to do that.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
John

Rewards Points: 206

Put a rubber stopper or one of those push on plastic caps in the spark plug hole.
If it has compression,it'll make a "pop" when it comes out.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD367 For This Useful Post:
onjtrainee (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD367 View Post
Put a rubber stopper or one of those push on plastic caps in the spark plug hole.
If it has compression,it'll make a "pop" when it comes out.
Talked to my buddy today, and he wants to know if he can access the valves from above the spark plug hole? He's pretty sure it's a stuck valve...or something has crawled in and died or the timing may be off. I was hoping to find this out for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement