Husqvarna Yth2448 Flywheel Doesn't Engage Engine - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Husqvarna yth2448 flywheel doesn't engage engine

Mowing the yard, mower running very well. Sounded like something fouled the blades. I disengaged blades and started to move mower to shade when it died. Flywheel spins like crazy, but does not seem to engage the engine. No load at all on flywheel.

Okay, changed diagnosis. Flywheel is engaging engine, plugs firing. Absolutely no compression. It's a twin, seems unlikely to trash rings on both pistons at exactly the same time. Any ideas?

Last edited by Joe Millard; 06-07-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Joe Millard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 242

No compression issue

No compression...you're engine is out of time. There's a shear pin on the flywheel that protects the crank from breaking...when it goes, you're going to be out of time...and hence no compression.

Note that your flywheel may be turning the engine, but it may have slipped on the shaft after breaking the shear pin. The flywheel has a magnet that is used in the ignition system timing...so, if the flywheel shear has broken, and the flywheel moved out of it's reference position...there's your problem.

Not to worry...unless your unlucky, take it to your dealer / repair shop and they will replace the shear pin and you'll be back in business.

I found this website that will help explain the issue.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/flywheel_key.asp

Hope this helps.
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,512

Remove the spark plugs, insert a drink straw in each plug hole to monitor piston movement and rotate the flywheel by hand at minimum one full revolution to determine if the pistons are moving within normal parameters.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

how are you determining there is no compression? No compression at all means much more than a sheared woodruff key but I would suspect you are not realizing there is in fact compression but simply no firing of the charge in the cylinders., It makes the engine sound pretty weak and it cranks quite fast and with little hesitation due to the compression in the cylinders.

I would start with cranking the engine while watching the pulley on the bottom of the engine. If it spins when cranking the engine, check out the woodruff key before getting into the engine.

then; remove the spark plugs, plug one of the holes with a finger and crank the engine. Then do the other. If you get no air movement, at all, the crank isn't spinning. Generally even if the woodruff key has sheared it will still spin the crankshaft. The ignition timing will be so it won'[t run but there will actually still be compression since the timing of the ignition has nothing do to with it having compression.

More often than not the woodruff key shears. It is made to do that. It is not difficult to replace the key if you so choose to try it.

btw: as long as the flywheel spins, you will get spark even if the internals of the engine are not moving. As I said before, it is not common the flywheel is spinning and not turning the crank though since while the woodruff key is used to keep the flywheel in a specific position,the nut holding the flywheel on are what actually make the flywheel to the tapered end of the crank connection. You would have to have some really odd situation for the flywheel to spin and it not spin the crank, even if the woodruff key sheared.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

removed spark plug and rotated crank, no movement of piston
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Millard For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

removed plug, inserted straw... no piston movement. I can see the crankshaft turning above the flywheel
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Millard For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Do you mean you see the nut holding the flywheel to the crankshaft and the end of the actual crankshaft rotating? If so it sounds like you may have had a carastrophic failure such as a broken crankshaft.

Otherwise the movement you see would transfer into the Pistons moving.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Joe Millard (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

I checked the pulley below engine while turning crank by hand with flywheel. No pulley turning.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

I removed the nut, but still had the flywheel key in place. When I would turn the flywheel, I could see the end of the crankshaft turning with the flywheel. No piston movement, no pulley on bottom moving. There was something just above the pulley I could see moving.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Millard View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Thanks again.
Did I miss a page or a whole chapter?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement