Gas Engine Running Poorly And How To Swap Gas - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By BigJim
  • 2 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By ZTMAN
  • 1 Post By dalepres
  • 1 Post By dalepres
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,144
Rewards Points: 6,185
Default

Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


My Harbor Freight gas-powered compressor isn't running well and I have to keep it on half-choke to run. It's basically brand new - I bought it 18 months ago and started it for about 5 minutes and it's sat ever since.

What I know is that the gas is what was in it 18 months ago so I'm pretty surprised it started at all.

I suspect the old gas as the primary culprit. The sign over the workshop door at my local mower shop says that 80% of their repairs are from bad gasoline.

The problem I have is how to get the old gas out so I can put fresh gas in. I know there are a lot of options but I want to get some opinions of others on what they use. I'm considering this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QDC31VO



Thoughts? Anyone using something else for the job that they're happy with?
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 12,599
Rewards Points: 1,510
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


That will work but all you need to do is go to wal mart and buy a pump bulb for a boat like that one in the picture, it will be cheaper.

This works pretty good also:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arnold-Siph...jDSGgJrLfD_BwE

After sitting that long you may have to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning, gas will gum things up after a good long period as it evaporates. I also recommend using non ethanol gas, ethanol is not kind to small engines.
dalepres, joecaption and Dave Sal like this.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 1,466
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


About 6 foot of clear plastic tubing with a 3/8" I.D. from ACE hardware or any outlet that sells it / ft. works for me. To start the siphon I fill it with water from a re-purposed Ivory liquid dish detergent bottle. The Ivory bottle works much better than Dawn.
Attached Images
 
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 8,598
Rewards Points: 1,274
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Ayuh,.... Ya gotta pull the carb to clean it,....

Just extend the fuel line to a catchcan, 'n let it drain out,....
Dave Sal and ZTMAN like this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
Member
 
ZTMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mountain Pa
Posts: 1,790
Rewards Points: 282
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


No offense to the OP but if you are asking the best way to drain gas, I assume you may not have the skill set to remove and rebuild a carb. I don't. Since the compressor is running, I would drain the gas and run some Seafoam through it. It will smoke like crazy, but may clean out the jets.
Dave Sal likes this.
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,144
Rewards Points: 6,185
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
No offense to the OP but if you are asking the best way to drain gas, I assume you may not have the skill set to remove and rebuild a carb. I don't. Since the compressor is running, I would drain the gas and run some Seafoam through it. It will smoke like crazy, but may clean out the jets.
No offense taken but that's quite an assumption. I got up this morning, dressed myself, tied my own shoes, and managed to turn on my computer, log into DIY Chatroom, and did it all by myself

I've rebuilt plenty of carburetors but won't be rebuilding one for this if it needs rebuilding; if it has to go to the shop I'll take it to the mower shop.

I've emptied plenty of gas and swallowed plenty in siphoning gas. I just know that there are a lot of folks here with a lot of experience and I just asked for the thoughts and advice of others.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,144
Rewards Points: 6,185
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
About 6 foot of clear plastic tubing with a 3/8" I.D. from ACE hardware or any outlet that sells it / ft. works for me. To start the siphon I fill it with water from a re-purposed Ivory liquid dish detergent bottle. The Ivory bottle works much better than Dawn.
The only reason for the one I posted (and now ordered) is that it has the bulb to start and the bypass for gravity feed once started and I could order it from Amazon. They sell the same thing for about 27 dollars without the case but I want to keep the whole thing clean so I bought it with the case. I'm sure I could find something to keep it in to keep it clean but this was simple.


And we use Dawn so I guess the plain hose just wouldn't work.
BigJim likes this.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 1,466
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepres View Post
The only reason for the one I posted (and now ordered) is that it has the bulb to start and the bypass for gravity feed once started and I could order it from Amazon. They sell the same thing for about 27 dollars without the case but I want to keep the whole thing clean so I bought it with the case. I'm sure I could find something to keep it in to keep it clean but this was simple.


And we use Dawn so I guess the plain hose just wouldn't work.
You are certainly correct in that plain hose won't work. I've had a problem seeing when the water siphon starter in the hose changes to gasoline color so I quit using plain hose.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 12,599
Rewards Points: 1,510
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
About 6 foot of clear plastic tubing with a 3/8" I.D. from ACE hardware or any outlet that sells it / ft. works for me. To start the siphon I fill it with water from a re-purposed Ivory liquid dish detergent bottle. The Ivory bottle works much better than Dawn.
Sc, do you just squirt the water up the hoes a good ways, but not so it goes into the tank, then let the water start the siphoning process?
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 1,466
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Sc, do you just squirt the water up the hoes a good ways, but not so it goes into the tank, then let the water start the siphoning process?
With the hose as pictured I fill-er up and install the plug, then with the hose in some position about vertical pull the plug to allow enough water to drain until none will enter the tank from the weighted ( nuts ) end.

Lay the plugged end ( fat pencil in this instance ) on the ground and put the weighted end that's void of water ( nuts in this instance ) in the tank. Pull the pencil plug and let -er rip until the hose is void of water then put the hose in a gasoline container if it's desired to save the gas.

And sure, gasoline can be used as well as water to start the siphon.

When I drove a 65 Ford Pickum-up truck I didn't even have a gas can for the mower. A regular gas hose with a shop towel wrapped around it and stuffed in the Ford gas tank then blow on the hose to pressure the tank. A slight learning curve required. With a full tank it was easy to over pressure and get a mouth full of gas though.
Attached Images
 
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 12,599
Rewards Points: 1,510
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
With the hose as pictured I fill-er up and install the plug, then with the hose in some position about vertical pull the plug to allow enough water to drain until none will enter the tank from the weighted ( nuts ) end.

Lay the plugged end ( fat pencil in this instance ) on the ground and put the weighted end that's void of water ( nuts in this instance ) in the tank. Pull the pencil plug and let -er rip until the hose is void of water then put the hose in a gasoline container if it's desired to save the gas.

And sure, gasoline can be used as well as water to start the siphon.

When I drove a 65 Ford Pickum-up truck I didn't even have a gas can for the mower. A regular gas hose with a shop towel wrapped around it and stuffed in the Ford gas tank then blow on the hose to pressure the tank. A slight learning curve required. With a full tank it was easy to over pressure and get a mouth full of gas though.
Thanks SS, I thought that was how you were doing it. I use to put a hose in the gas tank and stick the air nozzle in the opening with a shop rag wrapped around the air hose to keep the air from escaping, pressurize the tank and there ya go. That is the same thing you did blowing with the hose, it works.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,144
Rewards Points: 6,185
Default

Re: Gas engine running poorly and how to swap gas


One reason for not using the water-start is that I will burn the old gas in my truck, mixing a gallon here-and-there into a full tank of regular.
BigJim likes this.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts