First Snowblower Use And She Died - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Sir Diddely Squat

Rewards Points: 150

First snowblower use and she died

We are getting our first snow around the 5 inch range that we needed to use the snow blower for. We had got a used single stage Toro 98cc. Wife was out there snow blowing away with then the snow blower died. I thought snow had got impacted in there and I will get it cleared out and it will be fine. When I went to pull to start it, it was very hard. I don't it seize as I wouldn't been able to pull it more than a inch however I am thinking something internal. I contacted the guy we bought from he is a small engine repair guy who also sells them, I am not happy but lesson learned.
Theswed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,662

Re: First snowblower use and she died

First off, good on the missus. Since you just got it, do you have much history on how it felt during a 'normal' pull? It might have become seriously flooded and if gas gone into the combustion chamber it's trying to compress a liquid. Pull the spark plug and give it some pulls - it might clear it out. I don't have much experience with single stage blowers but recall they are either a direct drive or have a centrifugal clutch. If it still feels stiff you might have to pop the drive chain/belt off to see if the motor turns free. You (she) could have also bent something external to the motor.

Those single stage blowers won't handle much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
Sir Diddely Squat

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
First off, good on the missus. Since you just got it, do you have much history on how it felt during a 'normal' pull? It might have become seriously flooded and if gas gone into the combustion chamber it's trying to compress a liquid. Pull the spark plug and give it some pulls - it might clear it out. I don't have much experience with single stage blowers but recall they are either a direct drive or have a centrifugal clutch. If it still feels stiff you might have to pop the drive chain/belt off to see if the motor turns free. You (she) could have also bent something external to the motor.

Those single stage blowers won't handle much.
Yeah since my back surgery and following complications the missus has been wonderful. While there was a break in the snow action and didn't seem that deep and since those aren't made to blow through 8-10 inches we figured to go out and do it thing. It pulled okay after 4-5 it started, a little trouble staying running but a figured it was just cold blooded. I haven't tinkered with small engines in ages.
Theswed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

You bought your wife a single-stage snowblower? In Minnesota? I'd call that grounds for divorce! To me, anything less than a 2-stage in any real Winter weather is asking for trouble.

I do feel your pain. It is horrible to have a snow blower fail in the midst of a storm. You're very lucky the small-engine shop will look at it. Around here there'd be a month-long waiting list.

This is one of those times when you really do get what you pay for. I'm not suggesting you need the top-end model. The big box stores sell some pretty decent machines in the middle price ranges. Buying used is tough, since the only ones people are selling after the first snow are those that they gave up on in disgust and bought a replacement for.

Good luck!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 732

Is this a 2 cycle engine? Did your wife (bless her heart for even attempting to snowblow) use the correct gas / oil mixture? If she used straight gas, she may have seized the engine.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
Is this a 2 cycle engine? Did your wife (bless her heart for even attempting to snowblow) use the correct gas / oil mixture? If she used straight gas, she may have seized the engine.

Good point. I assumed it was a 4-stroke.

I also wondered about a single stage blower in Minnesota but didn't want to judge. I find them fairly useless for any amount of snow. I clean off a 20x14 deck for the dogs and in a fit of laziness decided to buy a single stage. I used it a couple of times and sold it on a local buy-and-sell. They will only blow what I can easily shovel (and I can throw it farther).

Depending on its previous life, if it is hard to start it might benefit from a carb kit or at least a good cleaning, new plug, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement