Ethanol In Gas? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 177
Question

Ethanol in Gas?

Years ago my neighbor educated me to the advantages of using premium gas in my small engines; lawn tractor, chainsaw, trimmer, etc.

Today while visiting my local Toro dealer we got talking about fuels, and she told me that ethanol was proving to be quite harmful to small engines.

Naturally she recommended a product they were selling; pre-mixed, 50-1 gas/oil with NO ethanol. Selling it in quart bottles, though I didn't ask the price. Maybe I should?

So, is my high test gas with ethanol ruining my engines or is this dealer just trying to damage my bank account?

Thanks,
Rob
RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 180

The dealer isn't lying. Ethanol is really bad for engines.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,868

And high test offers no protection.
Ethanol soaks up water like a sponge.
It hardens up the fuel lines, forms a slime in the carb. bowls.
Best best find some place that sells nonethanol fuel.
Within 10 miles of my house there's at least 5 places selling it.
One gas station has 2, pumps with it.
If not nonethanal at least go buy some additive that counter acts the effects of it.
Any auto supply, Wal-Mart, hardware store should have it.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 518

Very often a marina will have non ethanol gas. Around here its about 80 more than regular.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,170

Ayuh,..... Non-ethanol gas has been available 'round here for a couple years now,....

It's priced at, 'n called Premiun, but it's All I buy,...

'course my truck is diesel,....
Gas is for my power tools, power toys, 'n Boats,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,742

The website
pure-gas.org
will show you where to get gasoline without ethanol.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
78Vette (08-12-2015), r0ckstarr (11-15-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 AM   #7
John

Rewards Points: 206

The pre-mixed at the dealers,is a simple money scheme. I've seen them get $7 a quart,for it.
Either use non-ethanol fuel,or plan on replacing fuel lines,and carb parts each year.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,330

You are lucky if you have non-ethanol fuel near you. Most areas don't as the refineries don't want to bother with it. I know around here the only two places to get "clean" gas is the airport and the marina at the lake. For several years now I have been using aviation gas in my small engines as I have a buddy who can legally purchase it at the airport. Now that my brother has a place at the lake, he fills my gas can for me a couple times a year at the marina.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 194

According to pure-gas.org, NY currently has 538 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline. You should be able to find a station nearby, and the price will be lower than for either av-gas or gas from a marina.
billtech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billtech For This Useful Post:
JD367 (07-24-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 432

joecaption said it "Ethanol soaks up water like a sponge"

Just use water to remove ethanol from your gas. I use a 1-1/4 gallon container that is easier to handle than a 5 gallon. Here is a link to the method used and it works great. I use 4 ounces of water to 1 gallon of gas.
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...p?f=15&t=14679
funflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech View Post
According to pure-gas.org, NY currently has 538 stations that sell ethanol free gasoline. You should be able to find a station nearby, and the price will be lower than for either av-gas or gas from a marina.
When I check the site, the closest places are either the two local airports or three marinas at the lakes. After that it is not worth the drive to get to a station that sells it. Anything on the reservation I will not trust as they buy their fuel from wherever they can get it from.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD367 View Post
Either use non-ethanol fuel,or plan on replacing fuel lines,and carb parts each year.
That's a load of .

I've personally had/have small engines that have run almost exclusively ethanol fuel for 10+ years and never once had to replace a fuel line or carb/parts. In fact one mowers deck rusted out and the brigs engine was running fine.

At the shop we have equipment that has lasted even longer then that with ethanol fuel, some sit outside all year round gas hardly ever drained if ever, some times stabil is used, sometimes not. 90% of them can be started in a few pulls at any time.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #13
John

Rewards Points: 206

You're one of the lucky(?) ones,then.
Ethanol destroys neoprene ,over time. Even worse for rubber.
In the 15 years I had my shop, 65% of the problems were caused by deteriorating fuel lines,and 'o' rings,or sour fuel . Yes,Stabil can help,a bit.
Ethanol also attracts moisture,and as far as leaving fuel in for long periods, even the distillers will tell you,unleaded regular,with ethanol,only has a life of about 100 days.
Read the owner's manuals,or the repair manuals,on care,and storage. There's a reason they tell you to drain the system,if storing for over 90 days.
The Goldwing motorcycle I'm restoring sat in storage ,for a year and a half,and actually started,and ran long enough to get it home...about 45 miles,but once here,it had to have the fuel lines replaced,carbs rebuilt,and tank cleaned.
So best of luck,on your sloppy maintenance !
Oh,by the way,. I was a gas/diesel mechanic,for 30 rs,before being factory certified by Brigs&Stratton,Kohler,and Tecumseh,in 1998,when I opened my small engine shop.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD367 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD367 View Post
You're one of the lucky(?) ones,then.
Ethanol destroys neoprene ,over time. Even worse for rubber.
In the 15 years I had my shop, 65% of the problems were caused by deteriorating fuel lines,and 'o' rings,or sour fuel . Yes,Stabil can help,a bit.
Ethanol also attracts moisture,and as far as leaving fuel in for long periods, even the distillers will tell you,unleaded regular,with ethanol,only has a life of about 100 days.
Read the owner's manuals,or the repair manuals,on care,and storage. There's a reason they tell you to drain the system,if storing for over 90 days.
The Goldwing motorcycle I'm restoring sat in storage ,for a year and a half,and actually started,and ran long enough to get it home...about 45 miles,but once here,it had to have the fuel lines replaced,carbs rebuilt,and tank cleaned.
So best of luck,on your sloppy maintenance !
Oh,by the way,. I was a gas/diesel mechanic,for 30 rs,before being factory certified by Brigs&Stratton,Kohler,and Tecumseh,in 1998,when I opened my small engine shop.
Isn't your Goldwing a pre 2001 model. Making it more then 15 years old. So Ethanol may not have been the only(if any) cause of a dirty tank, carbs needing rebuilt, and fuel lines needing replaced.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,466

Compatibility vs non- compatibility schedule. Note: The majority of O rings used in the equipment in question are of Buna-N. If you want better than that switch to Viton.

http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol...patibility.pdf
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement