DR Lawn And Leaf Vac - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 17,914

DR lawn and leaf vac

A whole back I posted about how I was having trouble with brand new B & S motors not lasting for more then two days.
Install just the motor and it starts first pull and runs fine.
Install the back blower housing and impeller and pull the cord slowly and you can hear something in the motor going clunk, clunk.
There's tons of clearance around the impeller so it's not hitting anything.
Installed the outer impeller housing and start up the motor and it sounds like a gattling gun.
Slow it down and the whole machine shakes and the motor gets even louder.
So far DR has sent me 4 motors, 3, impellers, 2, whole new impeller housings at no charge.
So far they have sent me a 5 HP. 8 and a 9 HP. All had the exact same issue.
When one stops working (some only took 15 min. without any load and just running at full throttle ) they tell me to take it to my local B & S shop.
They take it apart and it's been the plastic cam gears sheared off.
B & S got involved and sent a brand new engine and a special crank shaft (DR uses a 2" shaft) to the shop and they put it together for me.
It lasted 2 days.
No the motors not made in China.
Yes I'm adding oil before starting.
No I'm not using it as a chipper, just trying to suck up leaves and pine needles.
They claim they have shipped out thousands of these motors and never had any issues before like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,... I'd have probably sent the whole thing back to DR after the 2nd motor,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

It's an older machine that I bought used years ago.
It's just the motor that's new.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

You could retrofit a different engine on there without too much trouble. But I know that'd mean extra dollars for something you shouldn't be having a problem with.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #5

Tried that idea, bolt pattern to bolt on the blower housing does not line up, and I'm not drilling into the crankcase.
Shaft has to be 2" not 3/4 or 1" on a standard motor.
The impeller on this thing weighs about 20 lb. and it may wring off a smaller shaft from the torque if I shimmed it up.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Tried that idea, bolt pattern to bolt on the blower housing does not line up, and I'm not drilling into the crankcase.
Shaft has to be 2" not 3/4 or 1" on a standard motor.
The impeller on this thing weighs about 20 lb. and it may wring off a smaller shaft from the torque if I shimmed it up.
Are you talking about a 2" in diameter crankshaft? I've never seen a small engine with anywhere near that size crank. I assume you need 2" on the crankshaft for the pulley.

Years ago I retrofitted a couple 10hp Tecumseh engines into a vintage John Deere 110 & 112. I had the good fortune of being able to measure & drill holes into 1/4 steel that the old engines were mounted on.

Honestly, my guess is that the main problem is that 20 lb impeller. It could out of balance, or somehow putting strain on the engine.

Last edited by DrHicks; 04-25-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

There is no belts or pulleys, direct drive.
The motors are special made by B & S just for DR.
They sent me three different impellers, all had been balanced by adding some steel plates.
Tried all three.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There is no belts or pulleys, direct drive.
The motors are special made by B & S just for DR.
They sent me three different impellers, all had been balanced by adding some steel plates.
Tried all three.
I got nothing. Seems like a terrible design to hard-mount a 20 lb impeller to the crankshaft of a small engine with no nylon coupler or anything. But obviously DR does it, and has done it for years.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement