Crafstman 46" Mowing Deck Rusted Through - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

Crafstman 46" Mowing Deck rusted through

I bought a used Craftsman 46" a while back with a deck that was clearly rusting out. I got a solid 2-3 years out of it, but recently I ran over something that appears to have knocked out a sizeable part of the frame. There is now a hole where one of the arms that holds it up in the front used to be (so there is only one arm in the front now instead of two).

I think it may just be time to replace the deck, but I don't know where to start. I can probably find instructions to remove the deck, but where do I get a replacement? Do I just need a new frame and transplant the blades/pulleys/etc, or is that complicated to do, and I should just find an entire unit to replace it with? I have no experience taking this apart.
dishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,730

Re: Crafstman 46" Mowing Deck rusted through

You should be able to google your mower for deck replacement .... or check with Sears. The decks are a little pricey.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 320

Maybe try Craig's List, you may find one with a bad engine for parts?
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Thanks- If I replace the entire deck, do they need to be the same size (46"), or can I put a smaller one from the same brand on it?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Thanks- If I replace the entire deck, do they need to be the same size (46"), or can I put a smaller one from the same brand on it?
There are other deck sizes that will very likely fit but you don't want to go there and here is the reason. That could involve sheave and belt changes to meet blade tip speed considerations.

I suggest you shop around for another 46" pre-owned deck. Mower repair or salvage entities would be a good start.
ZTMAN likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Ok. And I assume I should keep it from Craftsman, and not some other brand? I'd guess they aren't interchangeable?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Ok. And I assume I should keep it from Craftsman, and not some other brand? I'd guess they aren't interchangeable?
Being Craftsman and other brands source their mowers to only a few manufacturers there is a possibility other brands could be a match. I'm just not up to speed with those enough to be able to recommend to you which brands and year models may interchange.

Some repair shops may be able to assist you on that subject.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,730

My son tried to take a deck off a one size smaller craftsman mower to put on his and while I believe it could have been made to work it would have required some modifications - not a direct bolt on replacement.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 202

Practically speaking, decks are proprietary to the unit they came on. I'm sure there are some that can be made to work given some ingenuity and careful measurements, along with some cutting, welding, drilling, etc., but I do have those capabilities and have had only marginal success in such modifications. Based on what you have said, I would say you have two options; repair the deck that you have, or replace it with a deck made for that particular unit. The owners manual should tell you what you need to remove the deck, and if you don't have one you should be able to download it at searspartsdirect.com. You will need the 9 (?) digit model number, which you should find on a metal tag someplace on the machine. Once you get it off, I suggest taking it to a local welding shop to see if they can possibly fix it for you. If that doesn't pan out, you can start the search for a deck for that specific model number. A little googling might point you in the direction of other similar Craftsman mower that use the same deck, so that you can expand your search.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,596

Craftsman hasn't made their mowers in forever. Can you find out who the parent company was and see if they have a cross reference guide on it?

You might be hosed depending on the age of the mower and it will be easy to spend more on the repair than just replacing it with a similar aged used mower.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,251

How good are you with a welder or do you know someone with a welder who is up to a challenge?

I wish I could find the pics of the 17 year old 42" Murray riding mower deck that I repaired a couple years ago. I looked all over for a replacement deck but couldn't find any.

A good bit of the deck was rusted away with gaping holes. I have a water sand blasting device so I took the deck out to the lawn and went at it until all rust was gone. It looked like swiss cheese. I cut all the thin areas out and fabricated filler material from scrap metal I had laying around from my car restoration projects and welded it in.

Once all welded back up, I coated the entire thing with POR-15. I think it was over two years ago that I did this and it has held up beautifully. Nothing sticks to the POR-15.

It was so bad that one of the blade pulley areas was only partially attached. It took a lot of measuring and squaring things up to get everything lined up perfectly but it cuts perfectly level.

EDIT: Found a couple pics after initial welding:

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement