Conventional Or Synthetic Oil For A Tractor ? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 422

Conventional or synthetic oil for a tractor ?

I recently bought a new tractor(Troy-bilt TB42) and was wondering if it's best to synthetic or conventional oil. The owner's manual recommends both types.

If synthetic, do I still stick to the recommended change intervals?

Thanks.
Jim McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 202

Re: Conventional or synthetic oil for a tractor ?

What is the recommended oil change interval? I suspect that it's based on hours, and also suspect that, assuming this is for your personal use, you won't hit that number of hours within a year. That's my case anyway, so I have always changed the oil in my mower once each year, first thing in the spring, so that I'm draining any condensation that may have been introduced over the winter.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #3

Every 50 hours or annually. BUT is synthetic oil a good idea or a waste of money ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 202

My personal opinion, and that's all it is, an opinon, is that I would not run synthetic oil in any small engine, particularly air cooled, unless the manufacturer specifically said to not use anything but synthetic. My rationale, and I don't know if it has any merit, is that a lot of what I have heard about synthetic oil is that it is "formulated for today's modern engines", or something along that line. And yes, lawn mowers, etc. have come a long way too, but they still don't have a cooling system comparable to the vehicle you drive, a lot harsher environment in that regard, at least in my opinion, so I will stick with conventional oil as it has served me well.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,464

I've run both types of oil in lawn equipment over the years. Synthetic in an air cooled engine is not an issue. Synthetics don't break down like normal petroleum based oils when subjected to heat. Synthetics have a lot higher heat threshold in that respect. That being said, I don't like leaving oil in anything For extended periods of time. I have gone back to using Castrol GTX straight 30 weight in my Skags walk behind. I change it every 50 hours, which amounts to twice a season. If you're only changing it once a year, you're better off doing it right before you put it away for the winter. By products of combustion find their way into the oil, some being corrosive. I've never noticed any condensation in any of my lawn equipment, 20+ vintage and modern motocross bikes, or anything else I have with an engine. The modern dirt bikes have high compression four stroke engines and have to use synthetic oil, as specified by the manufacturer, no regular petroleum based oils in them.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:55 AM   #6

Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
My personal opinion, and that's all it is, an opinon, is that I would not run synthetic oil in any small engine, particularly air cooled, unless the manufacturer specifically said to not use anything but synthetic. My rationale, and I don't know if it has any merit, is that a lot of what I have heard about synthetic oil is that it is "formulated for today's modern engines", or something along that line. And yes, lawn mowers, etc. have come a long way too, but they still don't have a cooling system comparable to the vehicle you drive, a lot harsher environment in that regard, at least in my opinion, so I will stick with conventional oil as it has served me well.

"formulated for today's modern engines"

Germany was using synthetic oil in all their equipment during WWII,
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,378

"Germany was using synthetic oil in all their equipment during WWII,"

because they had no/little access to fossil-fuel oil base.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
"Germany was using synthetic oil in all their equipment during WWII,"

because they had no/little access to fossil-fuel oil base.
Because we bombed the hell out of their main supply, the Ploesti oil fields.
dd57chevy likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement