Considering Tractor Purchase - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 2 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 2 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 7,050

Considering tractor purchase

Looking at used tractor. I'd be using it for snow blowing mainly.

Kioti CK20
Comes with PTO snow blower, soft top, counter weights & cab heater
4 wheel drive
3 cyl diesel
about 200 hrs

For sale by owner. Asking $10,500 delivered.

I've never owned anything like this. Wondering what signs of wear
I should be looking for and what questions I should be asking.

Thanks
Nealtw likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Re: Considering tractor purchase

How big an area do you need to snowblow?
Any local Kioti dealers?
What other uses do you have for a tractor?
You'll find having to snow blow driving backwards gets old real quick.
https://www.tractor.com/manufacturer...view-1525.html
CodeMatters likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 246

Code - I've not owned a Kioti but also have not heard anything bad about them. I used to own a 33hp New Holland. A couple of random thoughts:
-The Google say the CK20 is a gear tractor. Depending on what you plan to do with it, including blowing snow, a lot of manual shifting can get real old real fast. A hydrostatic is much handier, although probably a few more bucks.
- Based on a very brief search, the price seems good.
- Is the size (width) of the blower matched to the tractor? Book says 16.5hp at the pto. If you go too wide you won't have the power. You want it just wider than the track of the tractor.
- Does it have a bucket? If not, the price gets less appealing. Not sure what one would cost. It won't be that big on a tractor that size but there is no end of uses you can put it to.

I agree that reverse blowing is tiresome, but front-mounted blowers are quite a bit more expensive, particularly if you don't already have a bucket mount, and I don't know if there is one for that model/size of tractor. My tractor had a seat that partially swiveled which helped, but I didn't have to work gears and a clutch.

Don't worry about whether you will have enough uses for a tractor. You will find them!
Bud9051 and CodeMatters like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 844

My biggest concern would be the availability of parts, not just today but 10-15 yrs from now. My tractor is a 1953 ford and believe it or not parts are still readily available. While I'm aware of the brand, I don't know anything about Kioti. Have you checked around for prices on other Kioti tractors, even new prices would give you something to go off. IMO 200 hrs is just broke in.
CodeMatters likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,592

There won't be any wear to speak of at 200 hours but I would be asking about a in shop maintenance record in print, not lip movement, if it did and why it spent X number of hours there. Sometimes 200 hours is about all a new disappointed owner can take of one.
tstex and CodeMatters like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,072

All flat or any steep slopes? I have a Kubota (7500) and it does not like slopes. I plow with the bucket so many back and forth, but it handles all types and depths of snow. And when needed I can break up a snow bank and move it farther back. And other uses is a growing list as I get older.

What size area are you clearing, I added my entire front lawn and besides giving me more room for cars it lessens the feel of winter. I also don't have to get anyone out for the morning rush to work so don't mind it taking a little longer.

I also have a backhoe which I leave on for my counter balance and if I get stuck, not a problem.

Bud

PS, I also was talked into a hydrostatic transmission, great advice.
CodeMatters likes this.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 246

Forgot to mention tires. Good if it has agricultural or industrial tires. Most come from the factory with industrial tires which are basically the same pattern but less aggressive - more flat top to the treads. They have better road characteristics and are easier on your lawn, etc. If it is equipped with turf tires, it will be useless for snowblowing without chains ($$).

With a soft cab, is there a flap or something to access the blower chute crank (assuming manual crank). It would be a pain to have to dismount to change chute direction.

You asked about things to look for. Outside of obvious abuse or damage, I can't thing of anything.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/guide/Kioti/ck20/reviews
CodeMatters likes this.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,028

I'm like Marksr, I would be looking at parts availability. In the South, we don't blow snow. We just watch it and keep warm. We couldn't make it down the mountain anyway.

I drive a 1955 Ford 640, too, and I have never had a "discontinued" part listed. Something to think on.
CodeMatters likes this.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 322

How much snow blowing are you doing with it. Do you have other needs for the tractor?

Front or rear mount blower?
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,054

What size place you have and what is the terrain like?

if it's mostly flat, you can use a frt-end-loader to push or remove snow, then blower for final touches. working backwards all the time will get old - do you have a swivel seat or a swivel neck?

W only 200 hrs, why is it being sold? if the seller has another newer tractor of comparable size, that's not good...

Finally, no matter how good the tractor is, cannot run w out fuel, or parts when it breaks...make sure you can get them and the shop manual...adios
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement