Changing Drive Belt On Mower - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 584

Changing drive belt on mower

Can anyone offer any pointers on how to change the drive belt on my Ariens self propelled mower?

From what I have found online, the drive pulley needs to be pulled out but it won't budge. I remember in the past when changing the blade the pulley would almost come off, but of course, now when I need it to, I can't get it to move.

Thanks for any help
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

I think you've got a spring-mounted idler pulley, right? That'll have to be loosened. You'll also have to remove the blade. I think, then, you set the right rear wheel to its very lowest setting, the the left rear wheel to its highest. That should provide enough clearance to pull the belt out and under the deck.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

There is a spring mounted pulley that seems to work as a guide to keep tension on the belt, if that's what an idler pulley is, but I was eventually able to get the drive pulley to come off and get the belt changed.

Hopefully the new belt makes a difference because the mower was dropping tracks of cut grass along the back wheel and perhaps it was lacking mulching power due to a 17 year old belt.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
There is a spring mounted pulley that seems to work as a guide to keep tension on the belt, if that's what an idler pulley is, but I was eventually able to get the drive pulley to come off and get the belt changed.

Hopefully the new belt makes a difference because the mower was dropping tracks of cut grass along the back wheel and perhaps it was lacking mulching power due to a 17 year old belt.

Thanks
Glad you got the belt changed!

Your tracks of grass clippings aren't because of the drive belt, however. That's more apt to be a dull blade or grass clumped up under the deck.

Back in our mowing days, we used to use graphite paint quite a bit. Wasn't a miracle worker, but it helped.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

Well, I've tried everything short of changing the belt. I have cleaned off the underside of the mower and used and freshly sharpened blade with no luck. Years ago I used to mulch a very long thick lawn without this problem. These days I am not taking much off and it still clumps.

I suppose I could completely clean the underside and try painting it to see if it helps.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Well, I've tried everything short of changing the belt. I have cleaned off the underside of the mower and used and freshly sharpened blade with no luck. Years ago I used to mulch a very long thick lawn without this problem. These days I am not taking much off and it still clumps.

I suppose I could completely clean the underside and try painting it to see if it helps.
Hmmm... Is your blade sharp? Does it need to be replaced? Over the years, I found that I could sharpen my mower blades once, but not twice. No matter how sharp I got them, the second time around, they just did not cut well.

I suppose it's remotely possible that your engine is running at full speed any more, but I'm sure you would know that...

Last edited by DrHicks; 09-17-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Engine seems to be running normal speed, but the blades are just as old as the mower and have been sharpened a good 20 times each. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the blade and that could very well be the problem then.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Engine seems to be running normal speed, but the blades are just as old as the mower and have been sharpened a good 20 times each. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the blade and that could very well be the problem then.

Thanks
Wow - you got your money's worth out of that blade!

Speaking of replacing the blade(s), I'd recommend going OEM, not a cheaper after-market blade.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Well, 2 of them actually I guess I am on my way to buy a new blade
Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 874

My Toro self propelled wasn't self propelling. I googled and found a utube video on tightening the drive belt.

For me tightening the wire by the handle helped. Wow was it ever hard to push when the self propelled function ceased to work.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement