Can Hydraulic Spin On Filter Be Cleaned And Reused? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 706

can hydraulic spin on filter be cleaned and reused?

I am in the process of changing the hydro oil in this tractor, not once, not twice but as many times as it takes to make the oil run clear. Have previous posts about water in the system. Anyway, these filters are not cheap, and only using them long enough to get the oil moving and then draining it. I discarded the old filter, then bought two new ones hoping I could reuse one for subsequent back to back oil changes. Then finishing off with the second new one. Hoping to get advice as to how to clean it in the case this idea is OK. Thanks for the help!
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

run clear? is the oil cloudy from water?

ideally it would be best to use a new one each time but I would simply take it off, let it drain and then re-install it. When you finally reach the point of being done with the process you are in the middle of, I would use a new filter on that last fill. It isn't going to hold enough water to make much of any difference and as far as particulate matter; you aren't even close to reaching the capacity of the filter unless you have mud in the tractor along with the oil.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
run clear? is the oil cloudy from water?

ideally it would be best to use a new one each time but I would simply take it off, let it drain and then re-install it. When you finally reach the point of being done with the process you are in the middle of, I would use a new filter on that last fill. It isn't going to hold enough water to make much of any difference and as far as particulate matter; you aren't even close to reaching the capacity of the filter unless you have mud in the tractor along with the oil.
Yeah, it's milky looking, but otherwise free of metal particulates. It may only take one more change, but it might take two. Would you rinse the filter in gasoline or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 344

I would go to a local auto parts dealer and see if they have a cheaper version, and replace the filter everytime. Once you get moisture inside of the element, it won't magically disappear........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I would go to a local auto parts dealer and see if they have a cheaper version, and replace the filter everytime. Once you get moisture inside of the element, it won't magically disappear........
This is the cheaper version...was 30 bux. And It took 2 weeks to get in. I intend to use a new on on the last change, however long that takes.

You still think I need a new one everytime?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #6
John

Rewards Points: 206

Better safe,than sorry.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement