Briggs And Stratton No Spark - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Briggs and Stratton no spark

I have an old (70s ish) 3.0 HP Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine that won't start. It ran a few years ago then sat in a garage for a couple of years. In all my troubleshooting the biggest problem seems to be there is no spark.

I take the spark plug out, hold it against the block and pull the cord but don't see any spark. Got a new spark plug and still no spark. If I touch the metal of the spark plug wire while pulling I can feel a jolt. Not a painful zolt, but enough that I know electricity is coming across.

Could it be there is not enough electricity coming from the coil? Why would that be? I had it apart and didn't see anything that looked wrong? What do you think I can try next?

Thanks. -Tom
retrofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Coils go bad, spark plugs need changing. I replaced the coil on my 20+Lawnboy because it would die after 10 minutes of running. Runs like a clock.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,502

Using the old plug, close the gap down to about 0.005" and test for spark in dim light or after dark. If there is a faint yellow spark the coil is often the culprit. Why? They just do that to us occasionally. But never say always on one of those things.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 766

70ish? It likely has points. They can corrode.

Pull the flywheel and clean them up.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement