Briggs And Stratton Mystery Spring - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 489

Briggs and Stratton mystery spring

I have an old Snapper rider with an 8 hp Briggs. It ran fine all summer, then wouldn't start today. Turned out to be no spark; new points/condenser fixed that. In taking it apart, there's a spring on the throttle linkage I can't figure out. It is actually slipped over the rod from the governor to the throttle on the carb. It is very fine and very long- about the same length as the throttle rod itself. I can't find a place to hook it. It is very clean, not all grimy like the carb (I fixed that, too). I can't see anything to hook it to. I wouldn't care except the engine isn't running very strong; I have to manually work the throttle butterfly to get more than half speed out of it. I figure that spring has to go somewhere. Any ideas?

I looked all over the interwebs but didn't see a similar set-up.
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Got a picture.
Sounds lie the governor spring.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,078

I agree, possibly a governor spring.

There should be a tiny hole to hook it to near the inlet for the carb. That opens and closes the choke valve.

A tip for next time.

With the invent of the modern picture phone.

Take a picture of your project before dis-assembly, that way when you find yourself in this kind of predicament, you have a reference photo to show yourself where does it go.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 489

I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow. I didn't see the spring when I was taking it apart. It's too long to hook on anywhere near the intake or choke. It kind of hooks on where the throttle rod goes, but it won't stay there, and that wouldn't make any sense anyhow. The only thing I can guess is that it hooks on to the fan housing, but there's no evidence of it having been there. There are no holes to hook it on to anywhere. I had to take the carb apart and clean it, and there aren't any holes anywhere to hook a spring on.
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,912

Look for the breakdown on the motor, not the mower on the net.
It does not connect to the fan housing, it connects to the govenor on one end and to the carb. on the other end.
See where there's a screw to adjust the idle and when you move the plate the RPM's go up? It's connected to the back side of that on the other side.
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us...overnor-system
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 284

www.manualslib.com ---> For times like these
JustScrewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement