Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 752
Default

Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


I have a Toro push mower 20332 that has a B & S engine 6.75 HP. I am having a problem getting the engine to start and then when it does start it runs rough. I have disassembled the carburetor and cleaned it thoroughly and reassembled it. The spark plug is good and has been changed.

Any suggestions on anything else to try or what the problem could be?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,969
Rewards Points: 2,168
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


Sounds like fuel/air mixture. Is it running steadily rough or surging? It still could be a carb issue - some of those passages are tiny. Even if you cleaned it, a seal or ring might be leaking and require a rebuild kit or new carb (although I have never had a problem the Internet is full of ethanol attaching rubber bits and gaskets). It looks like that is a new model so I don't know if you have a mixture adjustment screw that you can play with. Does it run better with the choke partially on? Any bits of crud blocking the outlet of the fuel tank? If it had been running with a rich mixture before, is the muffler clogged?

Just tossing out thoughts. They are at the same time very simply but can be very frustrating.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 752
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Sounds like fuel/air mixture. Is it running steadily rough or surging? It still could be a carb issue - some of those passages are tiny. Even if you cleaned it, a seal or ring might be leaking and require a rebuild kit or new carb (although I have never had a problem the Internet is full of ethanol attaching rubber bits and gaskets). It looks like that is a new model so I don't know if you have a mixture adjustment screw that you can play with. Does it run better with the choke partially on? Any bits of crud blocking the outlet of the fuel tank? If it had been running with a rich mixture before, is the muffler clogged?

Just tossing out thoughts. They are at the same time very simply but can be very frustrating.
It is running rough. The HP seems very low. I cleaned out all of the passages of the carb. I am sure that the gaskets and such could be bad but they all looked ok. I don't think that there is a mixture adjustment screw but I am not sure where it could be. Where might it be? It runs better when I hold the carb open but when I let it off the HP goes down or dies. I haven't checked the muffler....
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 20,456
Rewards Points: 4,606
Blog Entries: 38
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


Keep running it for a while. Is it a diaphragm style carb?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 752
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Keep running it for a while. Is it a diaphragm style carb?
It is a diaphragm style carb.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 20,456
Rewards Points: 4,606
Blog Entries: 38
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


The diaphragms get buggered when they sit in that ethanol.

Get a rebuild kit and re-do it.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Usually Confused
 
lenaitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,969
Rewards Points: 2,168
Default

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine Running Rough


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
The diaphragms get buggered when they sit in that ethanol.

Get a rebuild kit and re-do it.
Good catch. I didn't know B&S came with diaphragm carbs.
Windows on Wash likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Briggs and Stratton HTFreak Automotive Repairs 7 11-02-2015 03:42 PM
1991 Pontiac 6000 v6 3.1l running rough Patriot_RAM Automotive Repairs 17 10-09-2010 04:00 AM
Briggs + Stratton 14.5 mower Snapper Down Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 09-19-2010 07:50 PM
Briggs Stratton wont start - 12hp model: 498027 inetquestion Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 04-16-2010 06:57 PM
5+ Year old Briggs & Stratton Won't Start Chris_In_FL Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 08-28-2008 07:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts