Best Way To Clean Push Mower Underside / Deck - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 315

Best Way to Clean Push Mower Underside / Deck

Hi,

I'm wondering how some of you guys clean the bottom of your mowers. I know some don't bother. But we've got a mulching blade and re-circulating plug on our Snapper Series 20 21" mower, and we like how it works. However, if the grass is even a little wet, it can bog up fast; even stopping the blade / engine. yes, we try to avoid mowing in those conditions, but sometimes we kind of really need to.

Now the instructions say you can tilt the mower on it's back wheels, and to be careful to not tilt towards the spark plug or filter. Which I've done. And had to either clean or replace the filter. They also say to drain or otherwise empty the gas tank before tilting. This is all kind of a hassle. A couple of times, I've actually lifted the whole thing up on some wood stilts to power wash the underside when it was really bad. But the thing is heavy! Short of building some crazy ramp system that would get me the big eye roll from the wife, there just has to be an easier way.

What do you all do about this? Or is it not a problem because I'm doing something else wrong.

Thanks,
Scott
Scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I use a 2" scrapper to clean the underside of the deck. Remove the wire from the spark plug. Put it up on saw horses and keep it level so gas or oil doesn't spill out.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 02:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

I just use a Pressure Washer if I want to really clean it. Otherwise I just spray it off with a jet of water from the hose, let it air dry.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

Yeah, I figured that there's no magic bullet. Normally, I pull the spark plug and use a scraper. Only go to the power washer if it's really bad or I have it out anyway as it's a hassle.

It's getting under it that's the problem. I guess I'll slap together some kind of easy lift system. I want it up high to make it really easy to clean.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

I just tip mine on its side. Yes a little bit of gas will come out of the carb. But it is a lot easier than trying to look up at it and get crud all over your face.

I have been doing it that way for over 36 years with no issues.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,466

If need be cleaned every 15 minutes park it over a sprinkler or build a 90 wand if a purchased wand isn't available.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,642

As part of the Fall winterization process, I run mine out of gas. (never leave old gas in one as it will dry out and varnish up the jets).

And drain the oil, ( oil change yearly).

And since there is now no fluids to leak out, Tip it on it's side and pressure wash it.

let it dry, refill the oil.
Put it away for the winter, and come next year it's ready to go .

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 996

my toro has the garden hose fitting on the deck. i have yet to use it, so idk if it even works.

but, if it does work, putting one on a mower without one would be a good idea.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,660

It helps if you never mow when lawn is wet . PM is best !
dd57chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 786

Its so humid and wet in summer I never have dry conditions.

I have a mulcher and know what you mean.

I tip mine on side and use a screwdriver or hand gardening claw to chip off the packed on grass. It really cakes underneath.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 510

Have the hose ports on my Cub Cadet. They work pretty well if you use them all the time, or if the grass is really dry. Skip the wash once when the grass id somewhat wet and you end up having to get the scraper out. They do make quite a mess when you use them. You want to put them on a mower that doesn't have one? order the port as a repair part for a mower that has them and you just need to drill a 3/4 inch hole in the deck.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd57chevy View Post
It helps if you never mow when lawn is wet . PM is best !
Yup. Trying to avoid. It's just been a super humid summer and it seems whenever we've had time to do it things have been moist. However, the pain of cleanup, etc., is maybe worth waiting a day or two.

When it's dry or bone dry, of course, zero issue. This is a good mower. And I think this is only an issue with the mulching blade and re-circulating plug. That's what very quickly stuffs up the underside. It's a hassle, but the other solution is to just take the plug off and swap the chute for the regular discharge.

I think next time I'll just try to run the tank down low enough that I can tilt on back wheels to a better degree - remove the spark plug wire - and see if I can get to it easily enough that way. Just need to totally avoid tipping towards the filter is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement