Battery Powered Push Mowers? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 706

Battery powered push mowers?

Now that my aggravation level has risen to the point I'd like to work off my frustration by pushing rather than riding, I've accepted the fact I may wind up buying one of those longer lasting battery operated mowers. Apparently they've come a long way, and can recharge a battery that lasts 90 minutes in a half hour on some models. Does anyone have any good reviews to share?
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

I can't share any firsthand experience, but the reviews I've read/watched have all been positive for all the brands. Seems like eGo and Ryobi are good ones.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I can't share any firsthand experience, but the reviews I've read/watched have all been positive for all the brands. Seems like eGo and Ryobi are good ones.
Seems like the main complaint is overheating batteries, and that if they are under strain because of higher grass, or non lawn scenerio, they can fail. Then I read some reviews that say, every bit as powerful as a gas mower, which should take on all comers. I was looking at a Greenworks 25312, which supposedly is a real winner, but then found out Lowe's sells another less well reviewed model. Seems like getting warranty from a local outlet would be a big advantage as well. Can't imagine having warranty work done without that. Unless Im missing something. Also liked the Worx 19" review. All complaints seem to be about batteries, and that may just be the luck of the draw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 268

My mom has had a corded B&D mower for years and she loved it but the 100' cord was annoying. She eventually decided to try a rechargeable. It's in it's second year with no issues now. She mows once or twice a week, usually cutting a total height of 3/4"-1".

Of course I had to look under the hood when she got it home...once the warranty expired I replaced the smallish cables from battery to controller to motor with a heavier gauge (the insulation was discolored from getting hot).

My old boss (master tinkerer) built a rechargeable push mower that was self-propelled back in the 90's using phone company backup gel-cells. That thing could chew up anything you hit with it. It was cumbersome and heavy, but wow. Nothing would bog it down.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
My mom has had a corded B&D mower for years and she loved it but the 100' cord was annoying. She eventually decided to try a rechargeable. It's in it's second year with no issues now. She mows once or twice a week, usually cutting a total height of 3/4"-1".

Of course I had to look under the hood when she got it home...once the warranty expired I replaced the smallish cables from battery to controller to motor with a heavier gauge (the insulation was discolored from getting hot).

My old boss (master tinkerer) built a rechargeable push mower that was self-propelled back in the 90's using phone company backup gel-cells. That thing could chew up anything you hit with it. It was cumbersome and heavy, but wow. Nothing would bog it down.
That's really cool! Yeah, looks like some of them are right up there with gas mowers, even on more weeds than lawn type stuff like I have. Black and Decker has a good review for their mower, I think it was right up at the top somewhere. Maybe for the reason of power. Not liking the idea of overheating batteries tho, not here in Texas.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 10,048

My next door neighbor has a battery powered mower. He loves it. Gets about 3 mows out of it before he recharges it.

I'll ask him the brand.

I'm about ready to sell my gas powered mower and buy a cordless.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 80

How loud are they? I would love it if I could cut my grass at night, even I'm home and the sun has set. I hate cutting in the beaming sun, after a long day in the sun. Neighbors hate the noise though so I compromise.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
How loud are they? I would love it if I could cut my grass at night, even I'm home and the sun has set. I hate cutting in the beaming sun, after a long day in the sun. Neighbors hate the noise though so I compromise.

Cheers!
Some of the reviews state they are almost noiseless. i'm with you, that alone would be such a pleasant experience. I am so tired of noise...waiting for battery operated fireworks!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
My next door neighbor has a battery powered mower. He loves it. Gets about 3 mows out of it before he recharges it.

I'll ask him the brand.

If it's a lead based battery he'd get a longer life span out of it by charging after every use. Deep discharges severely reduce lead battery cycles.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

I'll ask him the brand.

Please do get back on that! I'd like real testimonials!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement