3rd Trimmer In 6 Yrs, Want To Get This One Right - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By RRH
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By RRH
  • 2 Post By kwikfishron
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By Steveromo

Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

3rd Trimmer in 6 Yrs, Want to Get This One Right

I bought a Craftsman 2 cycle trimmer for $100 in 2012. It died in 2014. Repair guy said using bad fuel was the culprit. Since I had also bought a few attachments, I decided to replace it with a similar Craftsman and I vowed to use only pre-mixed ethanol free fuel. Four years later, it has now died! The same way as the last one! So I am done with Craftsman. I see a Ryobi 2 cycle power head at Home Depot for $80. It fits with the Craftsman attachments, so it looks like a good replacement. Funny, but the Ryobi trimmer gets good reviews, but the power head reviews are mixed. The motor has to be the same, right? Anyway, want to see what the thoughts are on a Ryobi 2 cycle Trimmer, and recommendations on how to make it last longer than 2-4 years.
Steveromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

Re: 3rd Trimmer in 6 Yrs, Want to Get This One Right

I had a ryobi trimmer for a couple years. Piece of garbage. Was always a pain to get started and keep running correctly. Threw it out and bought a Stihl Kombi unit. I’ve had it two years now with no problems. Starts every time with no issues even in the winter when I use the sweeper to move light snow. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7635tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,332

Not sure what you are expecting out of a 100.00 or less gas trimmer. You are lucky to get 2 - 4 years out of one.

I myself would spend the money for Echo or Stihl
But cant say for sure if it will work out cheaper if you are getting 4 years out of a 100.00 one.

Non ethonel fuel does help some.
Here I drive 30 minutes out in the farming country to find a gas station that is allowed to sell it.
Just do this once or twice a year to stock up for my small engine gas.
MI-Roger likes this.

Last edited by RRH; 08-14-2018 at 01:22 PM.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,858

How much work is this trimmer doing ? A !000 feet of fence line, 3 -5 acres, just driveway/flower bed trimming ? etc.

As mentioned, your expectations may be too high for a trimmer costing around a $100.00. Stihl and Husqvarna lawn equipment is hard to beat, but they work hard and cost more $$$.

I went battery 5 years ago with a B & D 36 volt string trimmer and have worked the bjgezzus out of it. Still going strong today. JMO
Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

I use it and the attachments to trim, edge, and blow the debris on each mow. Use it about 40 minutes total on each mow, once a week spring to fall. The key to my next is to fit Craftsman attachments that I've invested in. I would hope 5 years is not being unreasonable if you take care if it. I'll spend more if it suits my needs. Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,858

If I go by the Ryobi power tools I have used and beat up for years now as a benchmark, then I would say the Ryobi trimmer is not a slouch by any means. Go for it.

And remember in the future that Sears stores are now closing every day now, in some city somewhere. So the availability of parts may be in question now. And who will be making and selling Craftsman if the tool brand survives, is anyone's guess I suppose. JMO
Old 08-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I went battery 5 years ago with a B & D 36 volt string trimmer and have worked the bjgezzus out of it. Still going strong today.

I went with the Ryobi battery string trimmer about 4 years ago. I suppose I don't give it as much use as others may, but it is still doing fine. Got the hedge trimmer too, that uses same battery. Try to get a string trimmer that has the 90 degree pivot on the head. Very useful for edging around pavement. Have not used my corded edger since I got the Ryobi.

My old two-stroke string trimmer still worked when I got rid of it. But besides the small gas leak, seems the hotter the day, the more temperamental it was about starting. Finally, on the hottest day of the year, working up a terrible sweat before even getting it started, I finally said "you are going in the trash".
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveromo View Post
I would hope 5 years is not being unreasonable if you take care if it.
Afraid it is unreasonable in that price range. In the better brands that would only get you a carburetor.
joecaption likes this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 320

If you want pro quality buy a Stihl.

You can get good trimmer that would probably be the last one you'll ever need to buy for around $250.
PPBART and Gregsoldtruck79 like this.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 17,912

I own 4 Stihl RS90's and all of them most often start first pull even at the start of the season.
I can plow through 2' tall grass with just the string attachment.
In about 2 min. I can change it to a hedge trimmer, edger, mini tiller, pole saw, steel blade for cutting down thorn bushes.
In 4 years all I've done is replaced the air filter, and that's because they sit outside on a rack on my trailer and I forget to flip them over to keep the rain out and they get wet.
They get used about 4 hours a day at least 5 days a week.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,616

My mower and trimmer are both battery and I'll never go back.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback! Trust me, I'd LOVE to get the Stihl KM56 POwer head, and use it with my 3 Craftsman attachments, but they're not compatible (I believe you have to modify them to work, but I wouldn't want to risk voiding the warranty on the Stihl.) So to meet my budget, I need to find a good trimmer or head that IS compatible. Ryobi is. Any others? Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 576

Have not checked this out myself, but.....can you buy your weed eater from Amazon ? They usually have a box off to the side to buy a 2-4 year warranty....at about 10% of the purchase price.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #14

So, after thinking it over, I decided to get the Ryobi Power Head - $79. I already have the Craftsman attachments I need (Straight Shaft for Trimming, Curved Shaft with "Edge-It" for edging, and Blower for cleaning.) They work great with the Ryobi Power Head and it has a 3 year warranty. I will continue to use the Ethanol-free premixed fuel and take care of it. If I can get 4-5 years out of it that will be great. If not, I'll have another decision to make then. Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,108

had a stihl 2 stroke trimmer for 5+ years. run it on premium ethanol pump gas (93 AKI) and 2 stroke oil.

also have a battery operated 60V trimmer for the past year. love 'em both.
u3b3rg33k is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement