2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Deck Repair - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DexterII

Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Question

2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Deck Repair

Hello-
i am new to this site.. been looking around trying to find some help and stumbled upon your sweet forum.. hoping someone can help me out.

so i have a cubby lawn mower... thing had done pretty good til last fall when it sounded like the deck was going to fall off. It was the last mow so was not in too much of a hurry to work on it. Well procrastination has ended and i am looking at repairing it.
Basically so far, i have replaced both spindles, both pullys, the left side break mechanism and break arm, plus the spring that hold tension on break arm, and replaced the PTO engage cable, and put on a new belt.
So i got everything back on and stuck it back under the mower.. started it, sounded ok. took one pass and started making a bad noise again.
Looked underneath and the main idler pully that engages the pto was loose.. so i took that off, i added two washers underneath and it tightened it right up.
so i try it again.. this time it sounds even worse.. well now it seems the pully i added the washers too is now pulling to far to the left and is making contact with the other pully and creating some serious friction there..
Thing is i cannot seem to figure out what i did to make it be able to reach that far over.. it should not do that. seems there should be something that keeps the main pully from pulling over that far.

anyways.. looking for any help!! Thanks in advance and happy easter!!!
dagnorbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Re: 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Deck Repair

Why did you feel there was there a need to add washers?
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?
Not sure why you replaced all those parts.
Belts simple enough to check.
Once the belts loose just turning the blades should tell you if the spindles are bad, same thing with the idler pulley.
If the springs not broken then it did not need replacing.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-15-2017 at 05:30 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

When the mower first broke down I took it to the local cub cadet place. They pretty much said it was going to cost almost as much as it took to buy it new to fix it.
They gave me a list of things they thought were wrong, so I took it from there.

I'll have to get some pics when I pull the deck back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #4

As far as the washers, the idler pulley was making a lot of noise from movement. Bolt was tight, but it was shaking more than I thought it should. I added the washers trying to make that shakin stop, and it did tighten everything up. That could be my problem, not sure.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 202

Re: 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1045 Deck Repair

As Joe said, post some pics, but sounds like the idler pulley needs to be replaced rather than shimmed with washers. There's probably a bearing pressed into it that is worn out, allowing it to flop around. The noise you're hearing now is probably the washers spinning on the face of the pulley.
de-nagorg likes this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement