2 Questions On A Pressure Washer - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Seabrook1983$
  • 1 Post By Seabrook1983$

Old 06-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

2 Questions on a Pressure washer

OK, this might be the closest sub-forum, please advise if the topic needs moving. Simpson brand washer, I'd take a photo except my wife is using it right now. Hopefully photo later (of the pressure washer, not the wife).

(A) The unit develops fine pressure but it no longer "draws" cleanser into the line. The clear line one sticks into a loose 1-gallon jug of cleanser is not clogged. It presses onto a fitting on the side of the "valve" near where the pressure line comes out. That fitting has 1/2" wrench flat, can I unscrew it without a large number of small parts spewing out (I'd turn it off first) And wheat might I find there, and chance of clearing out, or am I faced with buying a whole new pressure washer?

(B) I hate the idea of a loose 1 gallon bottle with a hose merely stuck in it, I've been thinking it over. For under $30 at Amazon, I can buy a gas tank intended for lawn tractors, it has mounting flanges on both side. Any reason I cannot fabricate brackets to attach it above the pressure washer's engine lead a clear line (with a shut-off and perhaps a filter) down to the aforementioned fitting? An all-in-one pressure washer without having to move the washer and the 1-gallon bottle separately.
Seabrook1983$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,642

Re: 2 Questions on a Pressure washer

Chances are that the clear hose has lost it's seal, at the fitting, allowing the thing to " suck air".

Which looses vacuum to cause the siphon function that it needs to draw the solution.

I see no reason that you cannot use the mountable tank, instead, might need to extend the hose a lot to leave the tank mounted to the washer, but that is a minor problem.

Every hardware store sells clear tubing in various footages.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #3

Thanks for a useful reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
[SIZE="3"]Chances are that the clear hose has lost it's seal, at the fitting, allowing the thing to " suck air".
I can see that - that end of the clear hose is rather flared. Sadly, the fitting does not have a lot of "length", like a hose-barb fitting might. I'll explore. I want to ensure I can get it to draw cleaner into the system before committing to the mounted-tank thing.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook1983$ View Post
Thanks for a useful reply!

I can see that - that end of the clear hose is rather flared. Sadly, the fitting does not have a lot of "length", like a hose-barb fitting might. I'll explore. I want to ensure I can get it to draw cleaner into the system before committing to the mounted-tank thing.
If that fitting unscrews, it can be replaced with a better one that you can put a small gas line clamp on, to clamp the hose tight.

Hose clamp for a car gas line.

ED
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

The hose has lost it's seal and needs to draw the solution. The issue with the fitting is it does not have enough length. So replace it with a better on by placing a small gas line clamp on it getting the hose tightly clamped.
smith10matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,600

Umm, turn the tube around. Assuming the other end doesn't have anything attached to it.

That should give an indication if the PW still sucks. So to speak. Or just go and buy a longer hose, for a buck or two. Bring in the old hose to get the proper diameter. Dip the tube in a cup of hot water to make it easier to slip on.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Yeah, it occurred to me later to reverse the line; I'll try that and/or just buy a new line -- regardless, a hose clamp if I find one small enough. Thanks, everyone! Yesterday, my wife cleaned the patio by spreading the cleanser with a garage broom, then pressure washing with just water. It worked, but extra effort.

Quote:
If that fitting unscrews, it can be replaced with a better one that you can put a small gas line clamp on, to clamp the hose tight. Hose clamp for a car gas line.
ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith10matthew View Post
The hose has lost it's seal and needs to draw the solution. The issue with the fitting is it does not have enough length. So replace it with a better on by placing a small gas line clamp on it getting the hose tightly clamped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
Umm, turn the tube around. Assuming the other end doesn't have anything attached to it. That should give an indication if the PW still sucks. So to speak. Or just go and buy a longer hose, for a buck or two. Bring in the old hose to get the proper diameter. Dip the tube in a cup of hot water to make it easier to slip on.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook1983$ View Post
Yeah, it occurred to me later to reverse the line; I'll try that and/or just buy a new line -- regardless, a hose clamp if I find one small enough. Thanks, everyone! Yesterday, my wife cleaned the patio by spreading the cleanser with a garage broom, then pressure washing with just water. It worked, but extra effort.
They sell packets of clamps almost everywhere, even Wal-Mart.

In the hardware aisle.

3-4 small clamps per packet, I keep a packet in a "possibilities" drawer.

ED

Here is a link to a nice assortment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pc-Hose-...wAAOSwb4VbrG6-

Last edited by de-nagorg; 06-24-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: add link
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Instead of the clamps that Ed suggested, I would recommend the following ones. The worm drive (for lack of a better term, tend to create a pressure point where they tighten. These ones, since the band that tightens slips around the tube, doesn't create a pressure point, it seals all the around the tube and the nipple.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Another option, if you work with PEX and use clamps, just use those.

Regarding the cleaning bottle, here's another option as well. Drill a hole in the cap the right size for the tubing. Slip the tubing through the hole so it reaches the bottom of the bottle and curves around it a bit. Slice the end of it at an angle so it can pick up the liquid at any angle. Use some clips on both sides of the lid to keep it in place.

Assuming you have a cross brace, you can put a zip tie on the handle and the cross brace to attach it to the PW and snake the hose long the handle to the inlet port.

If you don't have a cross brace, you can drill a hole in one of the handles and put an eye bolt in it and then zip tie. Or put an eye hook and hang the bottle on it.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Instead of the clamps that Ed suggested, I would recommend the following ones. The worm drive (for lack of a better term, tend to create a pressure point where they tighten. These ones, since the band that tightens slips around the tube, doesn't create a pressure point, it seals all the around the tube and the nipple.

I disagree, the worm drive will only have a pressure point, if you OVERTIGHTEN.

ED
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Instead of the clamps that Ed suggested, I would recommend the following ones.
Those look nice... IF I can find them.

Quote:
Assuming you have a cross brace, you can put a zip tie on the handle and the cross brace to attach it to the PW and snake the hose long the handle to the inlet port. If you don't have a cross brace, you can drill a hole in one of the handles and put an eye bolt in it and then zip tie. Or put an eye hook and hang the bottle on it.
Easier and, moreover, I've seen a "cage" like a bicycle water bottle cage, but sized for a gallon jug. I think I saw it in a catalog for kitting out the insides of race-car trailers.

Quote:
I disagree, the worm drive will only have a pressure point, if you OVERTIGHTEN. ED
Good no know, if I cannot find the alternative clamps. And, yet, I know I'll be tempted to OVERTIGHTEN.
de-nagorg likes this.

Last edited by Seabrook1983$; 06-24-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

I don't want to start an argument with you, But....

The two main problems with a worm drive hose clamp are:
1) The grooves tend to cut into soft tubing. Like heater and radiator hoses. And over time, they either need to be tightened.
2) They need a soft touch to prevent over-tightening. Which most people don't have.

However, you can get non-perforated or embossed worm drive hose clamps that eliminate both problems.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR160,160_.jpg

They are not constant tension hose clamps like the ones I show, but, they are better than the perforated hose clamps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement