Wood Stove Installation - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 3 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 10-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Wood stove installation

I'm installing a wood burning stove in a house that has a brick and clay lined flue, but had been bricked up some years ago. What kind of thimble do I need to connect my single wall stove pipe to this chimney? Clay, or stainless ?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 03:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 952

Re: Wood stove installation

Step One is to contact your insurance company to find out if your insurance covers a wood stove. Then hire a licensed sweep to take pictures of the flue and clearances of the flue to combustables.

Step 2 will be discussed next
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 806

My homeowner's insurance has a surcharge added on to cover my wood stove. Currently $26 a year.

I agree with inspecting the current set up! Do you know why it was previously closed off? If the existing liner is ok, I'd use a clay thimble but if you need to install a stainless steel liner you'd also want a ss thimble.
Bondo and lenaitch like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

I did lower a camera down the flue and it looks very good, no noticeable cracks and very clean. It a complete mystery to me as to why it was closed off. The person I bought the house from was the son of the previous owner and didn't know anything about it. When I saw that it was permanently close off I suspected some kind of serious issue, but I can't seem to find one. This is an earth home, and very well insulated, so it won't take much of a fire to heat it. So I would like to try it. I was kinda expecting to find a dead body or something in the flue So anyway, I just want to get it hooked up right and there seems to be so little info on this exact set up. Most people want to talk about installing a new stainless steel chimney pipe though a combustable wall or ceiling. Any help will be appreciated.
SteveC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
My homeowner's insurance has a surcharge added on to cover my wood stove. Currently $26 a year.

I agree with inspecting the current set up! Do you know why it was previously closed off? If the existing liner is ok, I'd use a clay thimble but if you need to install a stainless steel liner you'd also want a ss thimble.
I saved a lot more than that for just gluing a cap on the chimney. So I couldn't use the un certified stove in the basement.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 806

I'm not willing to give up my wood stoves! While I don't burn wood as much in the house as I used to it sure comes in handy during a power outage ..... and if you come in chilled to the bone it doesn't take long to get warm with a stove as opposed to a heat pump!
Bondo, Nealtw and SteveC69 like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 228

Since bought it from the son, perhaps the original owner was older and simply didn't want to bother (or could no longer) deal with handling the wood.
I'm a fan of liners in masonry chimneys - they tend to heat up faster and draft better.
SteveC69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement