What Is The Proper Ratio Of Portland Cement Mix For Setting Rocks In Masonry Wall? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

What is the proper ratio of portland cement mix for setting rocks in masonry wall?

I have an old a rock wall that needs to be patched up.

There are small voids where stone has fallen out.

My question is what is the ratio of portland cement to sand used to set the new stones in the wall?

Is the ratio different for the mix used for the mortar between the
stones on the facade of the wall?
Thanks for your help
provlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 822

Re: What is the proper ratio of portland cement mix for setting rocks in masonry wall

How old is the wall?
The new mortar should match the existing in make up as close as possible. If it is a Lime type mortar than use a lime based mortar. If it is a hard Portland type mortar the best thing to do is use a premix with a low PSI. If it is Lime based you can also get a premix to come close to the existing.
See if you can find this report on the internet ( Estimators' Reference ) Mortar Conversions.
ClarenceBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 132

Re: What is the proper ratio of portland cement mix for setting rocks in masonry wall

Clarence,
thanks for your reply. The wall is 30-40 years old and has some missing stones I want to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the proper ratio of portland cement mix for setting rocks in masonry wall?-wall.jpg  
provlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mortar bedding , wall construction