What Kind Of Brick Is This Called? Craftsman Bungalow - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 167
Send a message via AIM to stiksandstones Send a message via Skype™ to stiksandstones

What kind of brick is this called? craftsman bungalow

Man, been a long time since I was on here. Last time this forum walked me through a complete shower remodel, from the studs up, all by myself and it came out AWESOME. But we sold the house a few months after! (new job, wanted to be closer to work)...but I think the new shower sold the house in a day! it was amazing...moving on

So, I just bought a 100yr old craftsman bungalow in southern california, well, loan docs are approved and 2 weeks from closing escrow. I am sure I will be on here a bunch doing repair work, although the house is in incredible condition. I was curious as to what these type of bricks are called? I don't have a closeup shot yet, will take one tuesday on final walk through, but they are very smooth and fine feeling...grey and cream/white are the 2 colors.
Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of brick is this called? craftsman bungalow-screen-shot-2014-03-30-1.36.33-pm.jpg   What kind of brick is this called? craftsman bungalow-screen-shot-2014-03-16-4.48.26-pm.jpg  

Last edited by stiksandstones; 03-30-2014 at 03:47 PM.
stiksandstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,232

The size is Roman, but they look like concrete brick and are not original to the house. It is simple to find some more:

Buy a Delorean, make it into a time machine and go back to the mid 1950s. You should be able to find all you need, and cheap too!
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,220

I'm thinking that you haven't updated your profile....because your not going to find that kind of house in Murrieta.....more like Pasadena.....

And if it is Pasadena....most likely you are limited to what you can do to the outside of the house. The local codes in place that require those style of houses be maintained in their original 'look'....

And to be honest....I'm glad....I think it's a crime to buy one of those old houses and destroy it trying to make it look like something else...one could spend many weekends just driving around those old streets looking at the houses.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 167
Send a message via AIM to stiksandstones Send a message via Skype™ to stiksandstones

Have not updated profile, I am not in murrieta and the house is not in Pasadena. I also do not want to change the look of the house, hence wanting to know more about this brick so I can replicate it in the shed I want to build in the backyard. The house is listed on the historical registry, so I have no interest in change, only interest in preservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm thinking that you haven't updated your profile....because your not going to find that kind of house in Murrieta.....more like Pasadena.....

And if it is Pasadena....most likely you are limited to what you can do to the outside of the house. The local codes in place that require those style of houses be maintained in their original 'look'....

And to be honest....I'm glad....I think it's a crime to buy one of those old houses and destroy it trying to make it look like something else...one could spend many weekends just driving around those old streets looking at the houses.
stiksandstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement